Beach House in Progress

Ashlie

This mystery dollhouse I found on the side of the road with a $10 sign on it, filled with the furniture you can see on the left in the first picture. I made tons of progress on it since: I removed most of the tabs where the boards locked together and used nails and glue to keep it together instead, added some braces in weak spots, took off the black trim and plastic windows, took the partition on the second floor and put it in the first, changed where the stairs will go (spiral instead of plain), added two windows to the left side, turned the porch roof into a second floor porch, turned one of the windows into a door to access the porch, and removed some of the third floor to give the master bedroom a vaulted ceiling, added mat board trim on the windows and doors, and added a dormer to the attic bedroom. Since I've taken the last photos, I've started adding cedar shakes to the outside, finished the porches, added outer trims, some of the crown molding, and re-wallpapered the entry. 

Any ideas on where this house came from? also, any critiques/comments/suggestions welcome!

IMG_0192.JPG

IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

• Like 2

Artply was my first thought too, Kathi.  But whatever it is/was-  you are doing a great job on it Ashlie!  It looks terrific!  And the vaulted ceiling idea is a keeper!  LOL  May have to tuck that one away to use some time.  :)

• Like 1

On 1/28/2016, 8:55:59, Mimajo said:

I think you're doing a great job.  Hope you kept the porch swing.  Can't wait to see more.  Never would have thought of a vaulted ceiling, clever.

Thanks so much! unfortunately, I did remove the porch swing (it actually was attached with scotch tape, of all things lol), but its being replaced by a pair of Adirondack chairs. I still have the swing, though.

On 1/28/2016, 9:08:52, kathi17 said:

You're doing a great job!

You're house sure looks like an Artply house, but so far, I can't find one that is identical to it. I hope someone else here can figure it out!

11 hours ago, jbnmini said:

Artply was my first thought too, Kathi.  But whatever it is/was-  you are doing a great job on it Ashlie!  It looks terrific!  And the vaulted ceiling idea is a keeper!  LOL  May have to tuck that one away to use some time.  :)

Well, a brand name is more then I thought I'd find out about this house! its a start :) its probably pretty old- It had a good coating of dust and some cobwebs when i picked it up. The other items that were with it were some older toys. Probably some empty nester's sick of their kids old toys hanging around in the basement.

The vaulted ceiling idea came to me mainly because the floor that was originally there was just floating, unattached. When moving it around I took it out and noticed how much it opened the room without it. I also had looked up a lot of real beach houses and saw some beautiful vaulted ceilings with exposed beams and slats, so that finalized it for me. I did have to cut some of the roof that you can see in the first photo, and that was a huge pain because I only had a small craft saw and it was not great at cutting the plywood. its what got me to buy a real saw, ha

10 hours ago, JustCallMeAnna said:

Oh, this is grand. I, too, am loving the vaulted ceiling! And the porch roof becoming a second floor deck! Looking forward to seeing more!

The porch was another brainwave I had! I just cut through the tabs keeping it slanted and propped it up. I can't wait to put in the actual beams- they are just wedged there in the photo because otherwise it sags a lot. I had to get the outside trims done under there before I put them there permanently.

Thank you all again! I'm glad I'm doing a decent job :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Love it!  Are you using the popsicle stick craft sticks for your fishscale shingles? 

I am! those are the ends from the flooring on the second and third floors. 

11 minutes ago, minime said:

OMG it does! it has the same windows, window trim, and porch posts, similar apex trim.... googling that company name! Thank you!

• Like 1

Okay so with a little Googling and the source in the link above, the house is most likely by a company that was called the Arvey Corporation, which was around from the late 40's to the late 80's in Chicago. They mostly trademarked paper and plastic products but had a brand of wooden dollhouses called Put-Togethers from 1976 to 1985. This makes perfect sense as far as to why I can't find much info about the house. It would also make sense that a house of that age would have been put on the curb- not an antique and the kid that would've played with it would be in their thirties.