Painting House of Miniatures?

vbharrington

I found some good deals on ebay for some House of Miniatures lots, and I plan to finish most of them in the "traditional" way (ie. wood stains) but I was thinking about painting some of the duplicate pieces different colors depending on the house/ room the piece will go in.  Has anyone on here done a "non traditional" finish, and if so could you share?  Thanks

I like painting mine.  Other people have different techniques, but I've usually just used whatever craft paint I have around, a couple of thin layers, buffing/sanding lightly between layers.  I don't really sand, just smooth the paint.

and sometimes, I sand the edges, for a beat up look.

the bare wood makes it super easy!

• Like 1

I paint most of them.  I like to do chinoiserie pieces using home made decals I scale down from real pieces i find on the internet. I am working on getting my camera to work with GL so I can start downloading pictures.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2016, 7:57:24, kathi17 said:

I use a couple of very thin coats of craft paint, lightly sanding in between when needed. I love HOM kits, and never buy furniture. It's too much fun to make my own!

A few weeks back I took a big box of HOM kits to the Oregon NAME garage sale This was my first time selling anything at a show and I really expected the  kits to be one of the first things to sell but  I only sold two, a rocker and a sofa.  I ended up buying three kits (Willard clock, library table and James River fireplace) that would have sold for lots on ebay as "hard to find" for just three bucks each.The woman I bought them from said that most people tell her that they are intimidated by the kits. 

51 minutes ago, aggiemae said:

A few weeks back I took a big box of HOM kits to the Oregon NAME garage sale This was my first time selling anything at a show and I really expected the  kits to be one of the first things to sell but  I only sold two, a rocker and a sofa.  I ended up buying three kits (Willard clock, library table and James River fireplace) that would have sold for lots on ebay as "hard to find" for just three bucks each.The woman I bought them from said that most people tell her that they are intimidated by the kits. 

:)

Intimidated? my problem is they are too simple and some parts are out of scale

• Like 1