The Burl Finally Came In

jaxenro

Finally got the walnut burl for the drawer fronts it is going to take a lot of coats of polyurethane to fill the grain the first two just soaked in but I think when it's finally done it will look good.

I have photo's of everything for the tutorial

IMG_0982.JPG

IMG_0984.JPG

Oil based polyurethane dries to the touch within 12 to 24 hours but if you are going to "color sand" it and rub it out with rubbing compound it really takes a month or so to completely harden. Trying to rub it out before then it is still "rubbery" even though it doesn't feel it. The solvents evaporate in the first 12 hours or so but the full chemical dry takes three to four weeks

That's why people use laquer or shellac as it doesn't take the month to dry

3 minutes ago, jaxenro said:

What would look really nice, but I'm not doing these with it, would be a thin line of a contrasting wood (stringing) set around the edge of the drawers about 1/16" in from the edge. Maybe the next one.

I was thinking the same thing.

3 hours ago, jaxenro said:

What would look really nice, but I'm not doing these with it, would be a thin line of a contrasting wood (stringing) set around the edge of the drawers about 1/16" in from the edge. Maybe the next one.

That's what I was thinking. I have an antique bureau that belonged to my grandmother. Hers had burl drawers, and the thin line near the edges of the drawers. That would be a lot of work in miniature, because it would have to be so small!

9 hours ago, kathi17 said:

That's what I was thinking. I have an antique bureau that belonged to my grandmother. Hers had burl drawers, and the thin line near the edges of the drawers. That would be a lot of work in miniature, because it would have to be so small!

I want to just work on the poly finish on this set but I will do another one soon with the lining and do a tutorial on it. It isn't hard or require a lot of tools just patience

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pawsplus said:

What about a burl inlay on the top?

Next time. I actually have some veneer inlays coming for either table tops, or sideboards, or both, and some other tricks with banding inlay to show. I might veneer the cellarette's as well as they are a little small for inlays (at least I can't find them that small)

• Like 1

I've wanted to buy some veneer inlays for a long time to use on my miniatures, as well as other wood products. Too bad bills get in the way, and every time I get the itch to buy them, I pay a bill instead.

3 minutes ago, jaxenro said:

I paid $16 for 4 of them on eBay including shipping. Two round two ovals 

I know they aren't very expensive, but there is always somethng we need more.

I first started playing with veneers way back in the 70's. I was doing marquetry pictures, and getting my things from a place called Constantines. I think they are still in business. They had a lot of beautiful things!

1 minute ago, kathi17 said:

I know they aren't very expensive, but there is always somethng we need more.

I first started playing with veneers way back in the 70's. I was doing marquetry pictures, and getting my things from a place called Constantines. I think they are still in business. They had a lot of beautiful things!

Yes they are they are the go to company for veneer. I have used them in the past a few times. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, pawsplus said:

It's not easy finding alternate hardware!  Those will look great.

It isn't. I ordered some walnut and ash to make a campaign chest but I am thinking I might have to make my own brass hardware to go on it. Even finding thin walnut, mahogany, and ash can be hard but I found one place that sells 4" x 12" sheets for a decent price from 1/16" to 3/4" in most of the standard sizes and will cut to 1/32" and 3/32" for no additional charge. So I can buy scale lumber from a scale 3/8" to 1 1/2" in 3/8" increments to scale all my little pieces. I am going to try to replicate this in walnut with burl drawers and walnut case with ash as the secondary wood

7609.jpg

Edited by jaxenro
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, jaxenro said:

It isn't. I ordered some walnut and ash to make a campaign chest but I am thinking I might have to make my own brass hardware to go on it. Even finding thin walnut, mahogany, and ash can be hard but I found one place that sells 4" x 12" sheets for a decent price from 1/16" to 3/4" in most of the standard sizes and will cut to 1/32" and 3/32" for no additional charge. So I can buy scale lumber from a scale 3/8" to 1 1/2" in 3/8" increments to scale all my little pieces. I am going to try to replicate this in walnut with burl drawers and walnut case with ash as the secondary wood

7609.jpg

This is real IGMA grade work. I take it you have some serious courses under your belt.........and to do this type of work you must have some pretty sophisticated tools.

I notice you have no albums.....I'm sure I speak for most of us when I say I would love to see some pics of your past work it would be be something to aim for.

I used to do this years ago when I had a workshop. Just occasionally as I was more into black powder pistols and rifles and things like that. After three or four moves it all sort of slipped away so I am just getting back into it and have hardly any tools left and no pics.

I will be getting tools as I go along to make this. Most of it is a simple case with veneer for the drawers. The hard parts I see are the drawer handles and the feet as I no longer have any type of lathe or access to one. Working with Ash instead of basswood is a lot easier and I can hand cut the dovetails with a razor saw. I like hand tools for miniatures it is relaxing and I do this for relaxation not work.

I am going to do an old fashioned hand rubbed linseed oil finish so more hard work rubbing it in than the need for sophisticated tools. 

Campaign furniture is one of my favorite types. The concept of fine furniture made to be broken down into packing crates and set up again six months later and half a world away was just a more elegant way of life