Newbie to Bashing

CamperKate

Hi Everyone, I am new here. I have made the Orchid twice to give to my granddaughters and just ordered one for myself. This time I'd like to learn how to customize it...bash! I'm not sure how so need lots of advise on what wood to purchase to put additions on and what tools I need. My hubby works on computers so our tool inventory is limited to hammers, hand saws and screwdrivers. The only power tool we own is a drill. I'm pretty good at making things though so have no fear in tackling this project.

Edited by CamperKate
typo

Kate, I hope you will post an introduction in the Newcomers' Forum.  I find 1/8" plywood at the hardware store to make additions to Greenleaf kits.  The Orchid is Corona Concepts, so might be 3/16" thick, but for bashing the 1/8" will work well.  There are TWO Orchid team building blogs in the blog section you might wish to check out. I use my Stanley utility knife to cut most wood 1/8" or thinner, including plywood.  After three Orchids you might be ready to move on to bigger!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Kate!

Lots of people have bashed the Orchid, so you will get plenty of help. You can search this forum for the Orchid, and you can also google it and click on images to see other Orchids, then when you see one that's been bashed, just go to the website to see if they have posted what they did. Pinterest also has a ton of bashed Orchids, so try searching there as well!

Thanks! I am addicted to Pinterest so have seen a lot of Orchids but not a whole lot of additions to it so will search here. I'm making the Orchid because of the size. I just sold a large house that actually was how I got interested in this.

I put a bathroom in the large dormer in my first Orchid by installing a removable false wall. I also installed a built-in cupboard with faux doors in the sewing room. See more images HERE.   

Back

• Like 4

I buy all my bashing wood (and most everything else) at our habitat re-store. For a beginner project try enlarging a room. This involves cutting a strip or two the with you want to add then cross cutting one for every part of the house and working it in. You want to be careful here, 2-4" will usually be about right to keep the house in scale. 

For example:  I added an extension the exact with of one window to the Duracraft Chelsea.  I am building as a fundraiser auction donation. I wanted to make it easy for my teen aged helper to build after I cut it so  I made my cut line in the wall, roof, floor foundation  just to the right of the window in the right side of the room. I has to make two cuts in the front wall to add the window  but no adjustments to the roof line or porch was needed.