New and ready to Learn

CamperKate

Hello everyone,  I am new here and also new to Forums which is odd because I work on the internet! Please excuse me if I  post something in the wrong area while I familiarize myself. I love crafts and last year thought I would buy dollhouses for my two granddaughters for Christmas. In the search I found a large dollhouse with a few accessories advertised on kijiji and made a low offer. It was accepted and when we picked up the house we couldn't believe what we got. The house was huge (37" tall x about 45" width). A store had closed and the house and accessories were leftovers. The few leftovers turned out to be hundreds of accessories and at least 40 pieces of furniture! JackPot! The house was too big for a gift so I made two Orchids and gave my girls all the furniture, etc. for their Christmas gifts. I did quite a few repairs on the big house ...shingles, windows, siding, paint, etc. and I had intensions of furnishing the house but it was too big and heavy so just sat in my craft room in the basement.  I ended up selling it for a good profit but still the person who bought it got a huge bargain. It's the Nob Hill house from the Friends episode! I didn't find that out until after I sold it!  I bought another Orchid for myself and joined here for information on transforming it into something we can use for holiday displays. I found that I also enjoy making all the furniture and have made several pieces for the new build.

nob hilll.jpg

Welcome to the little family, Kate.  When DH & I travel we pull an RV camper, and I have built a couple of dollhouses in them, one was an Orchid.  The kit was also produced in a limited run in white plastic, and that one is my Christmas house:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=2916  After you build your Orchid you can look at some of the gorgeous Greenleaf larger house kits to make for you to play with.

18 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Agnes, I aspire eventually one day to build pieces out of John Davenport's book.

Holly, that's a link to about a bajillion John Davenport's, but none seem to be an author of a book of miniatures.

Edit: Holly corrected the link.

The url I copied and pasted was a bajillion pictures of John Davenport's book!, not people named John Davenport.  I went back and fixed the link and this time only one picture.  You might want to edit out my quote, unless you think people will want to look at all those men named John Davenport...

5 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

The url I copied and pasted was a bajillion pictures of John Davenport's book!, not people named John Davenport.  I went back and fixed the link and this time only one picture.  You might want to edit out my quote, unless you think people will want to look at all those men named John Davenport...

Done. Thanks, Holly. The book looks like a go-to book for miniature furniture builders.

And a welcome to the forum from me too......... (I'm usually quite late to parties...) I admire you for being able to part with that house though - I'm trying to build one that I specifically bought for a fundraiser - now I'm procrastinating hoping that I'll miss the deadline...... hahahaha