Garfield project delay...

Morgan

Sadly I have had to stop making progress on my Garfield build because we are going to be moving!  I had anticipated the move, but its coming sooner than expected as our landlord has decided to file bankruptcy.  Luckily I had only made it to the dry fit stage, so at least I don't have to worry about trying to move a half built house.  I'm still working on small projects that involve the dollhouse, just can't make anymore progress on the house itself.  I've been working on my design ideas since that was the step I was at anyway, and I've also been spending time trimming and sanding popsicle sticks for my wood floors.  I'm really having a hard time picking out wallpaper, I finally settled on a theme that the house seemed to agree with, but now I'm having a hard time finding papers that go with the theme and each other.  I'm a perfectionist and I won't even start until I'm sure everything will flow together.  So honestly I may not have made any progress in the building department anyways!  I have decided to do round wiring, so I'll probably start working on the layout for that also.  Plenty to do still, which I'm greatful for, I would be devastated if I had to stop altogether, I'm already hooked!

Be thankful Morgan.  When we moved my Pierce was bout 30% rebuilt; and even though I begged him not to, DH found it necessary to place some items on it, so the first rough railroad crossing we bounced over destroyed the Pierce (although none of the stuff he'd piled on top of it).

At first I was really disappointed, but after I thought about it more, I realized it is a blessing in disguise.  I measured to make sure everything fit but you never know for sure until you try, and then also the potential for damage during the move itself. 

As far as theme, I've been referring to it as nature/animals so lots of floral and leafy patterns and a couple rooms with bird and fish papers (I tend to gravitate towards these for some reason).  The issue I'm having is trying to find papers that work together and don't end up looking too busy since there are a lot of bold patterns and colors involved.  I do plan on adding wainscoting  to help keep it from looking too crazy.  I've chosen about half the rooms but the rest I've been struggling with.  I have about a million papers bookmarked on my tablet and I pull the pictures up and actually set the tablet in the house to get a feel for how it would look.

What a clever way to audition the wallpapers! Perhaps some rooms might be painted rather than wallpapered to provide a balance of busy/quiet? In those rooms the theme could be carried out in the furnishings and accessories, like bird cages, artwork, curtains/drapes, etc.

The wonderful thing about minis is that you can work in different parts of your build even if the house itself isn't under construction. Smaller projects such as furniture pieces, and accessories, don't take up as much space and can go in a work box and "travel" with you.

Dont feel bad about the time this is taking, sometimes the planning stages are the longest parts of a build. :) 

I'm sorry about the move happening so soon, but as you said, at least the house isn't very far along, and maybe you will be able to stay longer in your next place.

I was just going to suggest what Kathie said, about some calmer rooms with bird/fish accessories, or, use calmer walls and upholster your furniture with the type of fabric you were planning on for the walls. That would give you the same feeling, but would be much easier to decorate around.

You could have a nice light mossy green in a living room, with a busy floral print on the furniture, add a birdcage and an aquarium, and use shutters for the windows, and it would give you a nice nature inspired room, but be less busy than if it was papered.

The other rooms would be much easier to tie in with that, and you could do different nature themes in those as well. Just keep a green accent theme to tie them all together.

I'm going to create an album with the papers I have picked out so far.  I've decided to go ahead and order some of the ones I feel pretty strongly about and if I don't end up using them in the dh then I can just save them for actual scrapbooking which I also do.  DH had a good idea about printing a sample of each and taping them up so I have a better feel for everything as a whole.  Unfortunately my printer is out of ink so ordering a few sheets of paper is definitely the cheaper option haha.

I've also decided to do a semi finished third floor/attic which will help tone down the overall feel I think.  I have started work on a mini aquarium, I've made 4 polymer clay fish and know from previous experience that I can get multiple thickness sheets of acrylic for next to nothing cut to size at my local hardware store for the tank.  I also have real sized aquarium items I think I can use to create mini versions.  I'll post pictures of that too once I make a little progress. 

• Like 1

That's the biggest problem with printing. The ink should not be so expensive that we don't use our printers unless we absolutely have to! There are so many things I want to print, but it would cost so much to feed the printer, that I don't print them. Last year, I bought a $29 printer on sale at the dreaded Walmart because buying ink for my other one would have costed me twice as much as that printer!

Yeah, if you put pieces of each of the papers loosely in the house, you will be able to see what they look like, and go from there. It's hard for us to give advice when we don't really know what each paper looks like.

Your aquarium sounds interesting. Have you seen all the fake water stuff available now? Some of it looks beautiful in the examples. I'm anxious to see it when you're done!

I got my album up with the papers I've picked out so far online, I have 2 more I got from hobby lobby, I'll get a picture of them added tonight. 

My husband got me the printer for Xmas last year, I begged him to get me a Lazer printer since the ink lasts so much longer, he swore up and down that he would replace it for me whenever I needed it since he works at best buy and gets a discount but here I am, with no yellow ink, and have yet to get refills out of him.  He also used all my good card stock paper to print a 60 page instruction manual! 

Anyways, I have had a decent look at the fake water options and am definitely curious to play with some new mediums!  I'm excited to see how it comes together too!

• Like 1