Fabric, faux brocade

aggiemae

I am going to try to print a design onto gold silk fabric. I made three sheets out of silk shirt I got at the goodwill as-is.  I can't seem to find a pattern I like on line so I am going to go the the fabric store tonight.

Has anyone tried this? How did it turn out? 

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I haven't tried it, either.  I did paint a design on silk fabric for a 1:24 chair.  You know me, though give it a whirl, and if it doesn't work out, don't post pictures and try something else.

You? Post pictures? :roflmao:  Actually, pictures of failure are almost as good as pictures of success for learning. 

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

You? Post pictures? :roflmao:  Actually, pictures of failure are almost as good as pictures of success for learning. 

This from the one who reminded me I take "crappy" pictures (which I do, I freely admit it).

Agnes, if you can get your hands on silk embroidery floss, you might highlight your print job with a wee bit of stitchery?

I have used the silk fabric sheets in an inkjet to get a lovely printed quilt out of silk. It drapes wonderfully. But I don't know about brocade patterns being printed. I will say the colors were just a bit muted from my original jpg file.

I am not copying brocade. I am trying to print a brocade like pattern onto gold colored silk so the gold will show through where the pattern is white.

The silk on paper I made wouldn't go through my fancy new wide format printer! I'm going to office depot in the morning to see if they can print it. 

Iron it onto the plastic (shiny) side of freezer paper and trim to size. Be sure the leading edge is held firmly. Then just feed it through the printer like any normal piece of paper.

5 minutes ago, aggiemae said:

Kathie, Thanks for explaining!  I starch silk before I iron it to the butcher paper.  

That would definitely help feed it through the printer; does it also help with adhesion to the butcher paper?

4 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

That would definitely help feed it through the printer; does it also help with adhesion to the butcher paper?

Not really. I use a fixative to set the ink and the starch seems to keep to colors crisp.  I've got to get to work on that craft room...