Newbie Alert

Trinh

Hi I'm Tabby! I'm brand new to miniatures and dollhouses. I found a semi-started Alexandria by Duracraft (I think) in the back area of a local old auction house before Christmas and just fell in love. The outside of this house looked like it had eyes! So, I'm doing a haunted witch/Halloween house. I am absolutely HOOKED! Ok, maybe slightly obsessed. I'm slowly diving into this new world and it's overwhelming, but fun! Now how do I upload small photos... ;)

Not sure what happened to my other post....??  But welcome to the little family Tabby!

I built an Alexandria several years ago - it is a HUGE house....with some design flaws!  So I did some 'bashing' to make the rooms more accessible for play, plus I added a side wall because I didn't like that open back.  When I was building I tried looking up other houses as examples, but didn't find many, other than the one that Kathi posted.   I realized that I had not included some pics of my build in my GL album, so I just added them....check out my album!  :)   And have fun with your build!

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=5143

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Trinh said:

Oh my goodness!!!!  I'm in heaven! Thanks for all the tips and links. :) Hopefully, it'll turn out as nice as the other Alexandria's I'm seeing here! 

It really is a beautiful house, I'm sure yours will be beautiful too!

I just noticed Tabby, you have 5 posts, now you can start an album!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trinh said:

Dinner with my in-laws tonight then I can figure out how to start an album. I finished my first ever attempt at a mini object last night! 

And it was...?  My first-ever mini construction was a Victorian bathroom from one of Patricia King's books for our eldest granddaughter's San Franciscan.

Oh my goodness I'm not that ambitious. :) I stuck to a lowly carving. I have a customer that came into our furniture shop to have a cabinet refinished for a Sherlock Holmes display!!! We started talking and she dropped off miniature magazines for me to read! So, I thought it would be fun to try my hand at something for her.  It's really the first ever miniature I've tried to make.  I haven't even made anything for my house, yet. ;) 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have built several Alexandrias, or as  we refer to it here "the most heavya--ed house in the world". The exterior is nice and with a Drexel and some practice it can be great. 

I was paid to assemble, paint and wire several of them and had a really hard time not making changes. The fourth one I built was bashed into a two family house with an outside staircase on the right side to the second floor. though I was loathed to build another one , I was actually proud of this finished house.   After the house went to its new home not having the interior downstairs  staircase and also relocating and  narrowing the 2nd floor one to just under 2"wide   allowed for more creative decorating for the new owners.

My advice (not that you asked for it ) is to dry assemble it and just look at it for for a little while each day for a few weeks before building. Get some furniture and move it around. If you plan on having a family live in the house, move them around the house before and during construction.  Then you can add or move doors (maybe even walls) to work better with furnishings.

Welcome to greenleaf!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sadly, it was partially built already. :( I'm trying to find pictures from when I first found it right before Christmas so I can start a gallery/album. You can tell whomever put it together didn't care much. I also have to find the missing pieces or try to make new ones. From what I'm reading here I'm going to have to get creative. 

• Like 1

Hi my name is coco and I am a little new to miniatures . I had an old dollhouse my husband had built years ago that I gutted and redid. I think it came out pretty good still needs some detail work . I can't follow directions so I just make a mess and get very absorbed. And obsessed ! It is such fun! I am dealing with a mom with dementia and this is the only thing besides God that takes me away for awhile. I have never joined a community so I don't know how this is done . I am from new yorkNew York

me out 

• Like 1

C

11 hours ago, Trinh said:

Sadly, it was partially built already. :( I'm trying to find pictures from when I first found it right before Christmas so I can start a gallery/album. You can tell whomever put it together didn't care much. I also have to find the missing pieces or try to make new ones. From what I'm reading here I'm going to have to get creative. 

Tabby,

The instructions are on line, they might even be here on GLF in the "other houses" section. Since it's a tab and slot house it does have  some oddly shaped bits but someone here likely has a un-built Alexandria kit and can make and send you a tracing of any missing pieces you might want to replace. We are a very helpful lot!

I am pretty good at deconstruction, (one of the main reasons I finally stopped adopting orphaned houses !) Can you tell what type of glue was used for construction? It fit was so tight that, other than the room, i barely used any glue on the frame of house. I used glue and brads to attach the roof.

As I already mentioned, I have turned this house into a 2 family home but, before I got sick of building it, I had a plan to turn one it into to small houses...on the other hand you can just as easily add an extension to the right side...

also:

Welcome Coco, aka Doreen! 

Doreen, Start a new thread of your own and introduce yourself so people can respond.  You can start posting pictures of your house after a few posts... (I think it's five).

• Like 1