Travel Trailer Wheel Wells?

vbharrington

I am working on the travel trailer, and I am debating whether or not to actually build the wheel wells, because I don't like the idea of them sticking up into the actual living areas of the trailer.  I have thought about not adding them, but then I'm not sure if the wheels will actually work or if I will have to modify the axles as well.  Is anyone willing to share how they completed the travel trailer in regards to wheels/no wheels, wheel wells/no wheel wells, etc?  Thanks in advance

Vickie, my travel trailer/Mardi Gras float is in storage, so I can't look at it, but I don't recall any wheel wells. Is this something you want to add? But come to think about it, I may not have added the wheels at all, since they would have been hidden by the skirt of fringe that goes under the float.

• Like 1

The wheels don't rotate. The wheel wells are rather shallow. You could experiment with putting the wheels on lower without the wheel wells and eliminating them. You would then need to adjust the jacks. I think you can hide the wheel wells under cabinets and other furniture type items. I also think that I've seen people raise the floor for that end of the trailer so that the wheel wells are not noticeable. 

• Like 1

Since our real life travel trailers' wheel wells protrude into the living space (we are on our third RV in 15 years) I went with them.  I did have DH drill holes so the dowel I used for an axle would actually turn, and I used tire-shaped woodsies to replace the wooden circles provided for "wheels" in the kit:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=35611

• Like 1