HOM kits seem to be everywhere!

smjsome

I'm so excited and I had to share!  My husband is just laughing at me.  And, I'm going to go over all your tips I've been reading about this month.

I called about a craigslist ad - 28 kits for $28.00, we agreed to a meeting place, and when I arrived the seller pulled out 13 more kits, a fireplace stone kit I've never seen, electronics some lights and a bag of random items.  Got them all for a further $20!

we counted it up, and there are only 4 duplicates, which, are duplicates of items I would have bought more of - like the little half moon table that fits every where, and a desk that folds up.

there is also a letter from HOM - I guess he was a member of a club where he received kits each month.  He said "doll houses don't pay off". And was kinda playing off it was his wife's thing, but then as we talked, he told me about "all the houses I've built for my grand kids and to donate". He said this is it, "finally got all that junk out of my house". He was so cheerful really, and happy to see it go, I was happy to buy it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

My husband was reading the kit of the month letter and asked me if that would be a good Xmas gift, to get me a membership.

I know I've told him several times they aren't made anymore, but, he forgets.  And goes with me on my craigslist forays!

• Like 1

I had a similar experience a few years back. Two large boxes of HOM kits.

Craigslist is an awsome resource. It's the first place I look for most any thing  that pops into my head.  We got a kerosene heater for our greenhouse for $25.00 that ended up coming with 2 full 5 gallon tanks of kerosene and a bag of mantles. the mantles alone would have cost more. The heater was in the original box with instructions!

OK, I ordered a few kits, and they came in the mail today...filled with dead bugs. OMG...dead bugs in all of the packaging, and in two of the open kits. I put the kits in the freezer, took the box and packaging outside. Ew! I have an icky job, so not easily grossed out at all, but bugs in my house is just something I can't have.  

20 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

OK, I ordered a few kits, and they came in the mail today...filled with dead bugs. OMG...dead bugs in all of the packaging, and in two of the open kits. I put the kits in the freezer, took the box and packaging outside. Ew! I have an icky job, so not easily grossed out at all, but bugs in my house is just something I can't have.  

Bless your heart! I don't know that I could have kept any of it! Panic certainly would have ruled the day with myself!

If some of the kits are still sealed, take them outdoors and remove the plastic the box is sealed in. If there are no bugs in those, and they look clean, they are probably okay.

Are the parts in the open kits still sealed in Their little zip lock bags, and no bugs in those? If so, just transfer them to your own clean zip lock bags.

I'm thinking that any parts you have doubts about, you might be able to dunk into rubbing alcohol, and let them dry outdoors. I don't think that alcohol warps wood, but it should kill anything that might be gross.

If you don't want to keep any of the instructions, there are a bunch of them on that HOM site, or maybe a lot of us would be able to copy ours for you.

Tiny insects and old wood... I bought an Emerson Row on Craigslist that was infested with tiny red spider mites. I took it out of the box and layed the parts in the sun for a few days. The shingles didn't survive but the house built just fine. It was my only granddaughters first dollhouse. 

Thanks everyone! I used to collect old dolls, so I used to put a lot of things in the freezer. I put the kits in gallon sized ziplock bags, and will let them stay for a few days before I do anything. I'll sort through everything and I think I'll repackage the opened kits. I don't think it's a terribly big deal, but it did sort of ruin the magic of opening an ebay box after a long hard day at work.

• Like 1