New project

jrchob

001.JPG.aa5dd4dd08d1272d2a7974fc2509f2ca

Having a real struggle doing a dry fit. The tabs keep popping out when trying to fit the second floor. There are 25 tabs that have to fit in. I don't have much area to use tape. Any one encountered this?

002.JPG.fe4be94bf85d4f12ce5fe5ece44c5062 

8 hours ago, Sable said:

Maybe since this such a large house, dry fit one level at a time. IOW glue up the first floor before dry fitting the second.

I came to that conclusion also. The tabs were in the right place to fit the second floor. The house is a 1:24 scale but 24 inches in length. I will also plan to decorate as it is built. Wallpapers and some flooring have been ordered. There is certainly enough painting of trim and parts to keep me busy!

Have been busy priming. Have most of the first floor sections done. Need to recheck directions as they say to put in the windows and interior doors while constructing. The dark

edges did not sand off but I think the primer I'm using will take care of that, If anyone has done this house any suggestions would be appreciated. Back to priming!

Looks great. I also found dark edges could not easily be removed. I stained mine. I still haven't put the window or door trims on - I don't anticipate a problem putting them on after I wallpaper and paint. I thought the kit fit together pretty well. One thing I found is that scale-wise - I thought the house was very tall. The ceilings seem very high. I removed the foundation so that the house sits lower. Otherwise it looked out of scale next to my other half scale houses. I also removed all the gingerbread to fit better with tudor style.

0304161008.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, eskava said:

Looks great. I also found dark edges could not easily be removed. I stained mine. I still haven't put the window or door trims on - I don't anticipate a problem putting them on after I wallpaper and paint. I thought the kit fit together pretty well. One thing I found is that scale-wise - I thought the house was very tall. The ceilings seem very high. I removed the foundation so that the house sits lower. Otherwise it looked out of scale next to my other half scale houses. I also removed all the gingerbread to fit better with tudor style.

0304161008.jpg

Your house is beautiful!!! I do believe this house is a larger 1:24. I was able to prime the dark edges and paint without a problem. It's funny, I ordered more gingerbread for mine! (since I am going for my own "lace house") I have the wallpaper for the first floor ready to cut out and apply.

• Like 1

I have most of the wallpaper completed for the 1st floor. The colors in the photo are way off. The room on the left is a gray green and on the left a dark beige. Nothing is glued yet.56dcc43c0ac5e_1stfloor.JPG.a0c89fa0fe4d0

• Like 3

Plugging away at painting trim. Diane, did you add a piece a strip wood down the front of the bay window where the sections come together? Wish the trim for the bay windows was beveled. To me it doesn't have a finished look. Still deciding what to do with the stairs.

084.JPG.798dbfeec3055793bfa46446f76e9053Entry.JPG.bc7802cac357c86ae87227fe11484b

• Like 1

I put the side window trim on opposite from the way you have it now (switch the right bay trim with the left side trim). I think there is another piece of trim to fill that blank area on the front wall.

What are you going to do with the stairs? I ordered a spiral staircase from him - but I don't like the way it looks. I really want a curved staircase - but no one makes one. I changed the bathroom door opening, too. The way it is now it opens into the bedroom instead of the hall.

I love your color combination. It really is going to look beautiful.

0313161427.jpg

• Like 2

Not sure what I am going to do with the stairs. They came all put together and for me it would be difficult to paint or stain without making a mess. Possibly painting the bannister and using carpet runner on the stairs.

I just looked closer at my house and see I was wrong, I did put a piece of strip wood along the edges of the bay where it meets the house. 

I think the stairs pop apart pretty easily. I didn't use them because I wanted something more dramatic in that hall.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, eskava said:

I just looked closer at my house and see I was wrong, I did put a piece of strip wood along the edges of the bay where it meets the house. 

I think the stairs pop apart pretty easily. I didn't use them because I wanted something more dramatic in that hall.

You are right about the stairs. As I started painting the steps fell out!! They were put together but not glued.

25 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I used bamboo skewers and  spackle to fill and smooth the "seams" on bay widows.

That's a great idea!

I have been "fighting" with this house off and on and the last several days were not pleasant. I think I need to take a break and come back to it. The 1:24 room size is quite large and was needing to order more papers and flooring. I still have not been able to get the second floor into the first floor tabs-maybe once they are glued. This is my 9th house and a totally new feeling.

Think I'll go back to my comfort zone in 1:12 and start Cheryl's Place(House that Jack Built) that will be an auction donation.