Late night Bidding... Such a mistake!

JustCallMeAnna

So I had a case of late night bidding.

I won't go into all the shameful details (get your minds out of the gutter, they were all miniature purchases), but I had the misfortune on bidding on and winning a toilet. I wanted a plain jane toilet, but in my haste of NEEDING to win (I'm one of those that just can't accept losing) I didn't bother flipping thru the pics to see that said toilet has a flower decal on the tank.

Is there anyway to remove the decal without ruining the toilet? Or is this something that I should just put in my box of unwanted items?

9 minutes ago, JustCallMeAnna said:

So I had a case of late night bidding.

I won't go into all the shameful details (get your minds out of the gutter, they were all miniature purchases), but I had the misfortune on bidding on and winning a toilet. I wanted a plain jane toilet, but in my haste of NEEDING to win (I'm one of those that just can't accept losing) I didn't bother flipping thru the pics to see that said toilet has a flower decal on the tank.

Is there anyway to remove the decal without ruining the toilet? Or is this something that I should just put in my box of unwanted items?

Darn!......You stopped me right in my tracks! I had some wonderful 'one liners' ready!.............This may sound silly but you might try scratching it!..........The toilet I mean!

Can you add it to your stash for a yet-to-be-built house and go on the prowl for another toilet? I'm thinking that whatever method you try, covering something on a ceramic surface isn't going to look right to you. 

Or put it in the Community Trading forum. Maybe somebody here has a plain toilet to swap with you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

Can you add it to your stash for a yet-to-be-built house and go on the prowl for another toilet? I'm thinking that whatever method you try, covering something on a ceramic surface isn't going to look right to you. 

Or put it in the Community Trading forum. Maybe somebody here has a plain toilet to swap with you.

Oh, you've come to know me so well!

I don't know why I didn't think about that. Is there any way to delete this thread? Now that you've pointed me in the right direction, it only serves to remind me of "ebay can't lose bidding addiction" shamefulness.

Edited by JustCallMeAnna
typos

5 hours ago, JustCallMeAnna said:

I also bought a 1/2 scale bathroom set... I own nothing in 1/2 scale. Don't even know where to begin with myself on that!

Half scale doesn't take up much room. Hang on to it. One day you'll do a half scale build. :) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JustCallMeAnna said:

I also bought a 1/2 scale bathroom set... I own nothing in 1/2 scale. Don't even know where to begin with myself on that!

Oh dear...now you will ave to build a 1/2 scale house for it!  

About ten years ago I bid on an won a complete mid century dining room box in the original packaging. It was called a "miner room", made by Miner Industries. No information on line about the company or the furniture at all, the listing did not mention scale and the auction was ending in 10 minutes, but really, most everything made of wood is 1/12 scale... isn't it? ...I was so excited to pay less than  $25.00 for a room full of 1/12 furniture! It arrived a few days later and it was 1/4 scale and it was fabulous.

From the box I learned that there was also a living room and a bedroom to the set and I wanted them ALL!!!!

Alas, I had nothing but the pictures to go by, unfortunately few of these still exist "NIB"  and the individual pieces are not marked but over time random pieces did show up on eBay at affordable prices, though I really did have to hunt for them. I had the complete dinning room, including the roombox, and slowly I hunted down every piece of the bed room except the roombox and one, very mod, livingroom chair. Then, a few years back  and out of nowhere, the mid century modern craze hit the miniature world.

The last complete Living room that I saw (I think it was on Ruby Lane) was offered for $100.00!  By the time I talked myself into buying it it was snatched up by someone far less deserving... Yes, I am still on the hunt for that living room!

http://call-small.blogspot.com/2011/06/rooms-in-miniature-out-of-box.html

Anna. You had better get on building that 1/2 scale house, because that bathroom is going to be delivered any day now...

It's already come in the mail!!!

I'm glad it's just a bathroom set, cause I'm just like you in that I'd have to collect it all! But a bathroom... egh!

On a side note: I wish a MODERN craze would hit the dollhouse world! But since they haven't... I'm left to break all of your fabric print size rules! 'Cause big is in! And I have a feeling that all of you are going to excommunicate me the forum once you see what's going to happen to the DC Victorian! (Lots and lots of shameful bidding!)

Now if only I could find miniature modern rugs!

1 minute ago, JustCallMeAnna said:

...Now if only I could find miniature modern rugs!

Do you do cross stitch or needlepoint?  Do you have graph paper?  When I see a contemporary rug I like I sketch a copy (back when we had a printer that would work with our computer I searched online and printed what I liked and copied that) and transfer my sketch onto the fabric I'm going to stitch.  The fabric's thread count determines whether I stitch with one or two strands of floss.

3 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Do you do cross stitch or needlepoint?  Do you have graph paper?  When I see a contemporary rug I like I sketch a copy (back when we had a printer that would work with our computer I searched online and printed what I liked and copied that) and transfer my sketch onto the fabric I'm going to stitch.  The fabric's thread count determines whether I stitch with one or two strands of floss.

I don't. But I taught myself to crochet to years ago (via a few youtube videos and the stitch guides in the back of crochet magazines)... so would it be possible to do the same for cross stitch or needlepoint? Is there a difference? My mom does needlepoint on plastic canvas, is it anything like that?

On a side note: it's becoming increasingly difficult for me to hold onto crochet hooks and paint brushes (anything really that's pencil thickness), so I imagine that this could take me forever!

I stitch my little rugs using a half crossstitch, which is similar to one of the basic needlepoint stitches.  As with needlepoint I use a tapestry needle  (with a blunt tip, so I don't split the thread).  This kitchen rug is one I stitched in mini from a book of RL rug charts I have:

gallery_8_988_152487.jpg

36 minutes ago, JustCallMeAnna said:

Now if only I could find miniature modern rugs!

Make them. FInd rugs you like in on line stores or for really high end rigs...I dig high end decorator magazines out of the recycling at the dump and tear out all the full size rug photos. Sometimes you need two of the same rug for make one without any printing on it. Scan then in and print them at the highest resalution possible on good quality textured paper...now comes to good part! But a box of Kleenx 2ply facial tissues (the other brands don't work as well) You will also need Decoupage glue (modgpog). For best results the rug will heed to be smaller that a sheet of tissue.

Supplies:

1. your printed out rug

2. put down a sheet of butcher or wax paper to work on.

3 a good semi soft 1/2 paint brush (foam might be to rough)

4. some water and a cloth towel to clean your fingertips (paper towels don't work because they stick to your fingers 

5. a pot of slightly thinned decoupage glue

6. I ply of a sheet of 2 ply tissue.

Steps:

Lay the rug on the waxy side of the paper (wax paper should keep the glue from sticking where it shouldn't).  and spread a thin layer of glue on it. If your ink isn't waterproof you will need to seal it and let it dry before you start.

The lay the tissue over the rug. (I iron the tissue but some people don't) and with wet fingers gently spread the tissue as flat as you can by pushing wrinkles out from the center to the edges. It takes practice. After its flat add a thin layer of glue all the way to the edges. Let it dry at least a few hours and trim it when its 100% dry. The tissue puts just enough fuzz on the rug to fool the eye but is still transparent enough for the design to come through. You can also try laying the tissue down and pressing the design side of the rug on top of it.some people find that easier. 

Now, I better get my butt back to work!

You say it's hard for you to hold pencil thickness. Why is that? Do you have less flexibility in your hands, less grip strength, or is it something else? Would you find it hard to hold and manipulate a sewing needle? If so, stitching a rug might not work well for you. I do cross stitch, needlepoint, and embroidery regularly, and I'm only in my 30s, so I don't have arthritis or carpal tunnel or any impairment, so for me it's not an issue. Cross stitch (make an x) is usually done on aida cloth, or fine linen. Stitch counts determine the size of the project. 14 count, 18 count, 32 count, etc, tells you how many stitches make up an inch of needlework. Needlepoint, which I usually do as half cross stitch (half an x,) is usually done on evenweave cotton canvas, also called mono canvas, and for very fine projects like pillows, firescreens and samplers, can be done on silk gauze. Common thread counts for rugs are 18 count and 22 count, if the design is not a very complicated or highly detailed one. Canvas/gauze is basically a mesh you stitch on; aida or linen, a fabric with holes. Each material causes the stitches you make to be all the same size. Needlepoint is usually better for making rugs, as when you stitch, you're covering the mesh completely with your thread, so that is all you see. Cross stitch, unless you're shooting for small stitching, lets a little bit of the fabric show through your stitching. A lot of vintage miniature needlepoint kits use wool yarn as the thread, but since I'm allergic, I always replace with cotton embroidery floss (DMC), which comes in lots of colors, is easy to find in stores, and is pretty easy to use. Cotton floss is made up of 6 fine "plys" which are twisted together to make the floss skein. To use, cut a length of floss, and separate the plys. It's usually easy to pull them from the rest one at a time. For stitching a 22 count rug, I use 3 plys. For an 18 count rug, 4 plys. Shorter lengths of floss are better, as they don't tangle as easily, and don't wear out from the constant pushing and pulling through the canvas. A longer length may start to get very thin and shred when stitching. Is this helpful for you?

• Like 1

I'm not sure why it's becoming difficult to hold onto things, it's certainly a grip issue. Painting my current build, for example, my hand begins cramp and the brush gets flimsy in my hand and my hand gets shaky (I end up with lots of booboos!). I press on, just takes a little more time! While I feel so incredibly much older, I'm in my 30s as well.

This was greatly informative! And the aforementioned hands won't stop me! Sooooo....

If I want to give this a try and the closest store to buy anything along these lines is a very crappy Wal-Mart (the next town over) what would you suggest for someone that wants to try (before committing to a miniature rug)?

Check your local thrift stores for unopened crossstitch kits.  I have found several, as well as bags and bags of floss.  I have also found bags of needlework supplies such as small tapestry needles, hoops, and such.  As for your grip, have a long chat next time you go to your doctor.