What is your favorite dollhouse to build?

aggiemae

I have built many, many houses but my favorite house to build is the Emerson Row followed closely by the Brookwood.  I have probably built the Emerson Row 6 times. I am still working on my first Brookwood because I can't make a decision about the porch vs the sun room and also affordable modern furniture is so hard to find. But (as long as you guys keep buying my stuff in the trading post) I plan on having a more usable work space and more free time pretty soon...

The last Emerson Row I built I widened to center portion and made it into a duplex. With a third apartment in the ground floor. So there was a center wall from top to bottom , two doors opened to the pouch and a set of stairs  (actually two sets) on each side.  (I used the blocky duracraft stairs that you stack and glue together) If I build it again I will put in one door and have two apartments open from a hall. There are so many decorating options with this plan! The house is still in Israel,.. I left it because I could only bring so much and we have so much RL stuff... maybe my son can bring it to me when he gets leave...Years ago I actually took a medium size house as carry on, bit alas, airline rules are so strict  now, but they are lots more flexible for to soldiers! Maybe Greenleaf can offer this as a new release?  

That seems to change for me. Often whatever I'm currently working on starts out as my favorite and turns into what I hate (temporarily at least). Later on I love them again after the problems are all resolved.

My original love was my Garfield but I've never managed to completely finish it. My imagination ran away with me and it got way too complicated adding 3 houses as additions to it and making removable walls, etc. but my heart still wants to finish it before I quit this life. Fingers crossed I can pull it off.

Besides that mess, I have seven other half done builds and far too many untouched kits in boxes to count. The other dream one I have to yet build is the Golden Gate View. It is waiting patiently for me to get to it. But again, my bashing ideas may keep me from ever finishing it.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Selkie said:

That seems to change for me. Often whatever I'm currently working on starts out as my favorite and turns into what I hate (temporarily at least). Later on I love them again after the problems are all resolved.

My sentiments exactly!!!

One day, when I'm sure enough of myself, I'd like to build the house from "Up" as an actual dollhouse! So, do thoughts of currently non-existent dollhouses count?!

3 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Every house I build is my favorite.  Why would I build a house I hate?

Who said hate? The issue is favorite.

My favorite house is usually the one I'm working on until it is nearly finished and then it's the one next in line. :D

• Like 3

The Greenleaf store offers The Emerson in laser cut right now. 

I have only built 5 kits: Westville, Storybrook, 2 Michael's puzzle houses and one 1:144 beach house kit.  I don't have a favorite. Just like I change my favorite color,  I am having lots of fun, and a little head ache sometimes, thinking and making things for my current project. 

The ones I remember having the most feelings of joy and delight while building, were the buttercup and sugarplum. Those little cottages come together so quickly, loved the almost instant gratification. I don't remember either of those two giving me any fits. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Selkie said:

My original love was my Garfield but I've never managed to completely finish it. My imagination ran away with me and it got way too complicated adding 3 houses as additions to it and making removable walls, etc. but my heart still wants to finish it before I quit this life. Fingers crossed I can pull it off.

WOW Selkie!  I'd love to see that!!

7 hours ago, Dalesq said:

Buttercup, Rosedale, Tennyson, Diana, Arthur, and right now the Chantilly. I find I always love the one I'm working on :) 

The Chantilly is next in line once I finish my Pierce, which is to say after I finish my mum's shadowbox!  Do you have pics up of yours?  I haven't seen many around.  I bought this one half done.

I'd have to say that my favorite build wasn't a house, it was a roombox I made using stained glass tiles for the floors and columns. I added filigree jewelry findings and Dresden paper lace to trim the panelling and ceiling.

The stained glass tiles were so beautiful, and I loved decorating it like it was a room from a palace.

I don't know that it is my favorite finished project, but it was so much fun just decorating that room!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shareb said:

WOW Selkie!  I'd love to see that!!

Sadly, quite a while ago I deleted many of my albums and pics when GL was having some hiccups on an upgrade to the forum. There might be some pics still floating around in posts. I took apart all the components to store them more efficiently until such time as I resurrected the project. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

Sadly, quite a while ago I deleted many of my albums and pics when GL was having some hiccups on an upgrade to the forum. There might be some pics still floating around in posts. I took apart all the components to store them more efficiently until such time as I resurrected the project. 

That is really sad to have lost all those photos. I've been trying to repin most of what is in my albums to Pinterest for that reason. At least if there is a hiccup, I will be able to fix it.

• Like 1

My favorite is and always will be my first build.  The Newburg by Dura craft.  I bought it when I was on active duty at a Michaels (tells you how long ago that was) for 25.00.  got it home, opened the box, screeched and taped up the box and put it under my bed.  (I had 5 little ones at that time).  When my other half went to Kuwait for employment, I pulled it out again during Christmas break from college (I had retired from the USAF by that time) and put it together over the Christmas break.  When we moved She was the one that I packed up and put in the garage for safe keeping.  Had a SF at the time but thankfully I wasn't totally in love with her. ( I was upset mind you when the grandkids destroyed the SF).  I now have about 20 in my living room (no real world furniture LOL, it's all in storage or had a dollhouse sitting on top)  and with all that my sweet "frog house" the Newburg is still my first LOVE.

1 hour ago, kathi17 said:

That is really sad to have lost all those photos. I've been trying to repin most of what is in my albums to Pinterest for that reason. At least if there is a hiccup, I will be able to fix it.

That's a great idea Kathi! I lost some pics in my steampunk album and will have to re-take some of them.

• Like 1

I ran across the pub photos that KathieB took in one of the Bing "image" sets, as well as one I had taken of the first dollhouse dolls I ever made in my Dura-raft Cambridge, that used to be in the "Dolls" album that has gone to glory during recent "upgrades" here.

• Like 1

So far, the Seaside Villa (Norm's Dollhouses) was my favorite build. Having just finished the RGT Newport which was MDF, I was really excited that the Seaside was wood, and it was different than most dollhouses in style. I recall spending many hours dry-fitting and planning my minor bashes/tweaks. I also was very tied into the theme of the house - being a B&B - and that part was fun! I recall being challenged by the turret - for working on the paper, the floor, the fit, etc. I also had tons of fun doing the 3rd floor bath with the bi-fold doors from Timberbrook!

On 2/15/2016, 8:56:36, Selkie said:

On 2/15/2016, 10:39:46, kathi17 said:

Just to clarify, I deleted my own pictures. It was NOT the forum or GL's fault. It was my own concerns for how the changes were working and I had the knee-jerk response to delete things I was protective of. The originals exist on some older camera card. The issue for me now is taking the time to find that elusive camera card and uploading them again.

• Like 1

We all seem to agree that the one we are currently working on is our favorite house, it certainly makes sense, the favorite seems to draw us away from the others finished or not! I always have plans to get back and finish the others but the one I cant stop dreaming about and '' living in '' at the time captures all my attention it seems.

• 6 months later...
On 2/13/2016, 8:27:59, Selkie said:

Besides that mess, I have seven other half done builds and far too many untouched kits in boxes to count. The other dream one I have to yet build is the Golden Gate View. It is waiting patiently for me to get to it. But again, my bashing ideas may keep me from ever finishing it.

Haha i'm so glad it's not just me. I have 2 partly done, 1 i'm working on and 3 in the box =p

On 2/13/2016, 9:46:20, aggiemae said:

I hate the Alexandria and have built three (maybe four?) of them.

hahah That's the one I'm building now and I yeah I dislike this damn house ! I've actually taken it apart to redo things in it. Freaking house. Why does this one room have a huge opening and no door ?