Starting smaller first?

13 posts in this topic

Is it better to start with a smaller, less complicated house (I have the Lily)? If so which one would you recommend?

Its best to start with something you are in love with in my opinion, so that if you get frustrated you still continue. Just don't go to crazy on your first build. I wanted to start with the Beacon Hill then I read reviews for level of difficulty and went in a different direction.

1 person likes this

Robin, you will  happier by far to begin with the house that speaks to your heart.  My first-ever kit was the Dura-Craft San Franciscan, the SF555.  I made a great many mistakes with it, in the process I learned a great deal.  My second kit was the Dura-Craft Cambridge, and I learned a whole lot more!  By the time I was introduced to the Buttercup Cottage I was addicted to building dollhouses.

Hi Robin, and welcome to a great forum. Coming from an inexperienced builder (I've only done two small builds), Im glad I went that route because I wanted to use them for learning experiences. My third is going to be the Orchid as soon as real life gets under control. I would recommend the Orchid, and if you have a Hobby Lobby near you and use a 40off coupon it will be less than $20! Another reason I like the smaller builds is you can create different personalities with them. Each individual has their own interest in style and experience. I had NO experience in working with wood or assembly methods. Go with your instinct. One advantage you already have is that you have found this amazing educational and supportive site.

Robin, I started with the Beacon Hill.  I don't think it matters which one you start with, as long as you enjoy the process.

Welcome home, Wendy!!!  {{{BIG HUGS}}}  Does this mean you're home to stay?  We have missed you!  I apologize for hijacking this thread please take it back, now.

What's difficult for one person may be easier for another. So the choice of house to start with depends on you. Lots of people have started with more complicated houses like the Beacon Hill or Lily, so if that house is the one you love, then don't be afraid to do it. Just take your time! It really isn't a race. If you work steadily and carefully at it you'll have a house you can be proud of.

If you feel you need more practice before you tackle the Lily, then by all means build a less complicated house like the Orchid or Buttercup. Use it as a learning build and allow yourself to make mistakes. I used the 2013 Spring Fling (my build called Smokey's Place) to experiment and try new techniques. I did it for fun and wasn't concerned if I made mistakes; it was very liberating! :) 

2 people like this

51 minutes ago, Dalesq said:

What's difficult for one person may be easier for another. So the choice of house to start with depends on you. Lots of people have started with more complicated houses like the Beacon Hill or Lily, so if that house is the one you love, then don't be afraid to do it. Just take your time! It really isn't a race. If you work steadily and carefully at it you'll have a house you can be proud of.

If you feel you need more practice before you tackle the Lily, then by all means build a less complicated house like the Orchid or Buttercup. Use it as a learning build and allow yourself to make mistakes. I used the 2013 Spring Fling (my build called Smokey's Place) to experiment and try new techniques. I did it for fun and wasn't concerned if I made mistakes; it was very liberating! :) 

Well said Debora!!

Don't get me wrong, the Beacon Hill doll house is the reason I joined Greenleaf 6 years ago

the first kit house I built was the old style duracraft San Francisco. Just choose a house that you want to finish and decorate.  I do suggest that you avoid making to many changes to the structure of your first house. 

I agree, you have to start with a house you really want to have. Like several others here, for kits, I started with the DuraCraft San Franciscan. Mine was the 557 MDF one.

As the others have said, if you feel uncomfortable about the Lily, try something small, cute, and inexpensive like the Orchid. That will give you a feel for building, and is cute, and a fast and easy build.

Like Dalesq said, it's not a race, take your time, and ask questions here. No matter which house you build, it will be fun, and you will have a real feeling of accomplishment when you are done!

The nice thing about the Orchid is that it has dormers, a gable, a porch, a bay window and stairs to work up some skills.  There are two tem building blogs for the Orchid, too.

Welcome to the forum, Robin. I agree with the others - if the Lily is the one you like - build it. As they say here: go big or go home....... or would that be now: go mini or go home?

Whichever...

My first house was/is a really big one - and I haven't once regretted taking it on. (The parts are bigger.... hahahaha).