Air plants- do they last a while?

Luanne

I have just learned about air plants.  I am not good with normal plants so I think these easy plants might work for me. Do you have them? Are they truly maintained by being sprayed with water every once in a while?  I want grow vegetables and all but I need to start small. Thanks for any idea. 

I also have a brown thumb, but for some strange reason I've had good luck with jalapeno peppers.  We haven't tried a garden here because our neighbor across the street warned us that after three years of feeding the local herds of deer he quit.  We moved our latest jalapeno bush outside, so we'll see if the deer leave it alone.

I put Air Plants on my Villa build Luanne and they were fine. Fine until Rosemary asked one day when I last watered the Air Plants..........but even then and as brown as they were an overnight soaking in my Son's cereal bowl........shhhhhh! And they were fine.

They simply lay on the surface gravel and instead of spraying I gave them a periodic 'overnight' stay immersed in water. That's what the Air Plant Man told me to do and it worked!

funny....  I just picked up a little dauphin "statue" in Biloxi for my beach house.  This morning I noticed that the plant is NOT plastic.  It is one of those air plants.    now I know it needs to be kept a little moist.  I will probably kill it, since I am know to let cactus de of thirst. 

Darn it. I just went outside to take a pic of our huge  Tillandsia but it is gone.  So I asked my husband and he said it dropped about two weeks ago. It had a massive spike (the seed pod, I think) which is an indication that it's time  was nearing an end.  Spanish Moss exists in South Florida but it is much more prevelent in the northern part of the state, so w don't really have it in our yards. I'm attaching a link to the type of plant we had.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tillandsia

One of the things that blew us way when we went paddling in S FL was the prevalence of all the bromeliads!  Just gorgeous.  You're quite right, we have Spanish moss in our part of the world; not nearly as pretty.  I was interested to learn that it's relate to pineapple! (don't recall where I read that...)

12 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

One of the things that blew us way when we went paddling in S FL was the prevalence of all the bromeliads!  Just gorgeous.  You're quite right, we have Spanish moss in our part of the world; not nearly as pretty.  I was interested to learn that it's relate to pineapple! (don't recall where I read that...)

Holly we learned that during a tour of Savannah, Ga. Also learned that it is actually not moss at all. It also lives in S Ga. Sable, that's a neat looking plant. I've never noticed those before. I'll have to look out for them my next trip to south Ga or Florida.

I've had some air plants years ago. Sometimes I forgot them for weeks, then when I thought of it I sprayed them and lo and behold...it all came back to life.

It is the coolest invention ever for people who happen to lack green thumbs :cucumber:

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, me-barbie said:

Can veggies be grown as air plants?

If you mean, are there edible airplants? I don't know, I'll check.

Edit: I can't find an edible species, but that's not to say they don't exist. I just don't know.