I just aquired a Dollhouse.  Although I have always wanted a dollhouse, I never got one.  This one fell into my lap and I am like a kid again.  Problem is, I dont know where to start.  It seems as though it is old. As a matter of fact, one of the pieces of furniture has a 1979 mark on it and there are other indicators that this dollhouse is old.  Some people tell me not to mess with it but then I see what wonderful things can be done with dollhouses and feel I have to run with it.  My first issue I guess would be the electrical.  This system is old and the wires are breaking, the lighting fixtures are barely hanging on.  Is it possible to replace the electrical with a more updated kit without destroying my dollhouse?  I also would like to add another floor with three rooms, a sunroom, an orangery, extend the porch and add a patio.  I have so much to learn and any information to help get started would be wonderful. I am attaching pictures in hope that someone will have some suggestions.

A House Front.jpg

Back of House.jpg

Shelley, you hit paydirt with that house!  It has wonderful bones and  if ll that furniture came with it, you are off and running already!  When you begin to work on your house you can post your journey here:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=forums&id=25  When you have made five posts you can start an album of picture of your rehab in the Gallery.  When you find time you can post an introduction to yourself here:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=forums&id=15.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shelle101 said:

I just aquired a Dollhouse.  Although I have always wanted a dollhouse, I never got one.  This one fell into my lap and I am like a kid again.  Problem is, I dont know where to start.  It seems as though it is old. As a matter of fact, one of the pieces of furniture has a 1979 mark on it and there are other indicators that this dollhouse is old.  Some people tell me not to mess with it but then I see what wonderful things can be done with dollhouses and feel I have to run with it.  My first issue I guess would be the electrical.  This system is old and the wires are breaking, the lighting fixtures are barely hanging on.  Is it possible to replace the electrical with a more updated kit without destroying my dollhouse?  I also would like to add another floor with three rooms, a sunroom, an orangery, extend the porch and add a patio.  I have so much to learn and any information to help get started would be wonderful. I am attaching pictures in hope that someone will have some suggestions.

Hi, Shelle. Welcome to the forum! Your excitement is shining through! Rehabbing an old house can be more challenging than building new, but if you can think it, you can usually find a way to do it. :)

I think I'd start by removing all of the wall coverings and the electrical system. If it's that old and wires are breaking, no point in trying to add on to it, better to start over. There is good information on what you'll need to rewire the house at Cir-Kit Concepts, Inc. Before getting into the wiring, get a game plan for the additions you want to make. Foam core board is good for a mock-up, easier to adjust than working directly with wood. Once you've got the additional completed, you can go full steam ahead with the wiring. By then you'll know enough to have decided whether to go with round wire or tape wire.

Feel free to ask questions as you meet challenges. There is a wealth of information already posted here and a whole gang of miniaturists ready to swap war stories. Odds are, one or more of us has been there, done that, and worked out the bugs.

About your comment :" I also would like to add another floor with three rooms,"

How about adding a floor beneath?  Is the door in the middle room of the bottom floor to a closet or bathroom?  It could be a door to a stairway going down.  Oh dear, then that leaves you with a porch hanging in the air.  Never mind.

1 hour ago, jdodyd said:

About your comment :" I also would like to add another floor with three rooms,"

How about adding a floor beneath?  Is the door in the middle room of the bottom floor to a closet or bathroom?  It could be a door to a stairway going down.  Oh dear, then that leaves you with a porch hanging in the air.  Never mind.

Nice 3/4"-1" diameter dowels under the porch will work just dandy.

• 2 weeks later...

so many possibilities! I'll see if I can find the woman who customized her Newport after she bought it - it was completely finished, and she added all sorts of things, I was totally in awe of it.

Doubting my effort to locate her now. I think her name was Marie, we had formed a 'group' via email of fellow Newport builders. This was my first real build, and thus the camaraderie. She bought this house completely built/decorated - and proceeded to make it her own. She added extensions, all sorts of goodies...I was so blown away. Anyway...the point is this house can be whatever you want - the sky's the limit. The solid bones Holly speaks of are true - you can strip the wallpaper and wiring and you can make it your own. Hoping we see the rebirth!