Building my first scene--need some direction!

Magicant

Okay, disclaimer--it's not really a dollhouse.

I am a huge nerd. Especially when it comes to video games.

I decided to go back to school to get a degree in gaming and simulation, and now I'm in my senior art portfolio class. My mentor noted that the photographs I took of my figures--which I took for fun, not for classes--were well composed (according to her, anyway) and told me to build a portfolio focused on toy photography.

I think for my first photo shoot I want to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Pokemon! I have a bunch of two inch Takara Tomy figures and want to build a Pokemon Center--the building in the games where you heal your Pokemon--and feature the figures. I think it will be a 12x12 scene.

I don't think it will look like any of the official buildings, but an amalgamation of all of them. Since I have never done this before, I need some advice on materials, etc.

My biggest concern is the floor tiling. I think I want a pale yellow/orange like in the games, but my mentor says yellow floors do not photograph well.

For reference to Pokemon Centers throughout each generation of the game, Google "Pokemon Center Interior."

I'll post my floor plan sketch when I get home!

Edited by Magicant

Welcome Magicant!   We love miniatures of all kinds and you'll find quite a few gamers here too so you're in the right place.  We'll help you in any way we can.    Floor tile is pretty easy to find in all sizes.  My personal favorite is the Greenleaf vinyl tile that has the look of marble.  The scale for this is 1:12 (one inch=one foot) and the squares are one inch so they resemble a real life 12 inch square. This one is gray but it has a soft blue tone to it.   http://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/Miniature-Scale-Vinyl-Floor-Tiles-Gray.html   There are other types of floor covering tho that range from thin sheets of colored, contoured plastic to sheets of paper.  (Even scrap book paper can be used).   

It's wonderful that you've joined us and I'm looking forward to seeing how your Pokemon tribute progresses.  

27 minutes ago, Magicant said:

Here is my sketched out floor plan! I may go with yellow tile after all if I find something nice. I don't know what I'll do to shape out or sculpt the counter...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BydIhN86LgU4a3NZNTlsQ2R5czQ

Your floorplan looks great!  You could build the frame of the counter with basswood or foamcore and cover it with paperclay to "sculpt" the corners and textures.  Paperclay works very well for that sort of thing.   

1 hour ago, Deb said:

Your floorplan looks great!  You could build the frame of the counter with basswood or foamcore and cover it with paperclay to "sculpt" the corners and textures.  Paperclay works very well for that sort of thing.   

That's a thought! The thing is that my sculptures always end up lumpy, and I don't know how well a counter would turn out.

You can build your counter out of foam core or corrugated cardboard box and seal it and cover it in a layer of spackle or drywall mud and let the layer dry before building it up with further layers until you get the effect you want.  'when it[[s dry it sands nice and smooth.  Pint chips make lovely floor tiles, and the ones for the special effects paints give you some variety.  I think the reason your mentor suggested that yellow doesn't photograph well is that most artificial light is in the yellow spectrum,  which will wash out the color o you might want to think about how to light your scene when you're done.

7 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

You can build your counter out of foam core or corrugated cardboard box and seal it and cover it in a layer of spackle or drywall mud and let the layer dry before building it up with further layers until you get the effect you want.  'when it[[s dry it sands nice and smooth.  Pint chips make lovely floor tiles, and the ones for the special effects paints give you some variety.  I think the reason your mentor suggested that yellow doesn't photograph well is that most artificial light is in the yellow spectrum,  which will wash out the color o you might want to think about how to light your scene when you're done.

Okeedokee---I'm just prepared to look like a crazy person walking out of Ace Hardware with a ton of paint chips!

Just now, Magicant said:

Okeedokee---I'm just prepared to look like a crazy person walking out of Ace Hardware with a ton of paint chips!

Welcome to the club. You may will likely find yourself doing much sillier things before you're done. As far as I know, not many of us have been locked up for mini-related crazy. Yet.  :D 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, shannonc60 said:

I used yellow tiles in my Mountfield mini kitchen and laundry. I'm not a great photographer, but you can see them in this blog post:

http://shannonsminiblog.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/you-win-some-you-lose-some.html

Super Cute!

I just got back from Ace getting a bunch of paint chips.  Grabbed 'em, wandered off to the other end of the store, hoped they forgot about me and walked out.  To be fair, I initially went up to them and showed them the ones I picked up and they said they were free.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

Was that the one on the wall Holly? I thnk I've painted it since then....

Yes!   I think I have one of our infamous Michaels hutches in my stash that can be bashed into one like it, but I'm pretty sure you didn't bash one of those to get yours.

I've decided the scene I'm building will be based a lot on the Pokemon Centers from Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire and the original Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.

Now that the floor has been figured out, my next challenges are the counter, the screen behind the nurse, and the healing machine next to her.

A_Pokémon_Center_in_Omega_Ruby_&_Alpha_Sapphire..png

Pokémon_Center_inside_RSE.png

very interesting project...I know nothing of pokemon BUT my granddaughter LOOOOOOOVES them!!!

so I hope you will keep us updated on your progress...it looks like you have your design ready for some raw materials...

I will be watching and showing her....

do you already have your figures? because of course that would be next to measure where the counter measures on them...:construction:

I do have a bunch of figures and a few more in the mail. I went on Bulbapedia to get the official heights for the ones I have:

Vaporeon - 3'3"

Flareon - 2'11"

Glaceon and Jolteon - 2'07"

Mareep - 2'00"

I think I'll have one on the front desk, one by the table, etc.

All the Takara Tomy figures are 2".

Edited by Magicant
  • Like 2