Campaign Silver Chest

jaxenro

I love campaign furniture. The concept, the creativity, the elegance of line and function. I am starting on this one but expect it to be a long process as I "need" to buy some specialized tools and will be making my own hardware from brass. Anyway this is called a half chest as it is only half the usual size plus a bit smaller. The original had velvet lined drawers fitted for the individual silver serving pieces. Unlike the more typical mahogany, teak, and walnut silver chests were usually oak like this one and had iron fitting although this one is brass. The originals dimenssions are 12 x 16 x 30 inches

Example 1.jpg

Example 2.jpg

Campaign furniture runs the gamut from desks to beds that unfold from chairs or fit in trunks to everything else a person would need to set up house in the middle of nowhere. The chest I show above would fit in a packing case that could also be used. This is what's known as a "Aldershot" chest where the top chest would fit in the bottom one, the feet would unscrew, and then the whole thing would fit in a painted packing case, usually pine with iron strap work

111.jpg

112.jpg

6 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I also love campaign furniture.  Another miniature furniture artisan I admire (net to Ferd Sobol, of course) is Bill Studebaker.  Joel, you are fast joining some excellent company!

I wish. I have lots of big ideas I will see if I can execute to them. My biggest problem is I rush and don't take the time I should. I won't make that mistake on this one

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been slow I have a lot of the pieces sanded to size and square and started cutting the rabbits

Also starting to experiment with fuming oak using ammonia I want to get that golden brown look of aged oak not a stained look but an aged look

IMG_1010.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few snaps to show some progress along with a burl walnut cigar box I am working on - it will have an opening front and three drawers inside

working on the drawers now for the silver chest than starting on the brass hardware

laptop fried so I been sorta unconnected

IMG_1025.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG

IMG_1027.JPG

• Like 1

I'm glad you showed us that. A few weeks ago, I was trying to clamp together the first room in my Japanese house, (it's modular), and my husband remembered that he had some clamps similar to that, but they are much heavier. My father used to use them to make picture frames. Anyway, they worked really well!

I need to look at the smaller ones, along with the gluing jig at micromark!

They take a little fiddling with to get used to but they work really well. The nut portion is plastic I might look to replace it with metal but they are a low profile so I might not. They work best if you tighten opposite corners together (i.e. top right and bottom left) to keep everything square

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaxenro said:

They take a little fiddling with to get used to but they work really well. The nut portion is plastic I might look to replace it with metal but they are a low profile so I might not. They work best if you tighten opposite corners together (i.e. top right and bottom left) to keep everything square

I would think that the plastic would be gentler on the wood than metal.

2 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I would think that the plastic would be gentler on the wood than metal.

the metal corner brackets clamp the wood the plastic are the hexagonal pieces that work like nuts to tighten down on the metal pieces