Campaign Silver Chest

jaxenro

Going to try ones like the top chest. Cut the plate out of 1/32" brass and I have some 1/32 square brass to make the handle out of. That's a scale 3/8" thick. Then back it up with .005" brass soldered to the back. If you look closely at one of the handles it is essentially a flat plate with the handle inside it. 

The cigar chect ones are a little fancier but if I can reproduce the top ones I will use them for both

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update. I am working on having all the hardware cast in brass by Shapeways. Having a bit of trouble with the handles as they don't print the handle part that thin just the plate but I think I can come up with something

• Like 1

I have some square 1/32" brass I am going to try

The funny part is the ones I have done as singles (one plate and handle two parts) work but they are $11 each. The sprued ones with 8 plates on it I can't print the handles but I get 8 drawer pulls for under $20. So I am printing one of the ones with the handles and eight without and will try to copy the handle

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My first two shapeways parts came in they are cast in blocks of 8 of each type in brass

the corner brackets and the mid L shaped brackets I need to cut them apart and install them but they look really good even better than in the pictures

IMG_1056.JPG

IMG_1055.JPG

IMG_1054.JPG

I don't know how they determine pricing but yes I saved quite a bit by having 8 corners cast s as block as opposed to individually. I think there is something on their site that explains pricing by material. I can actually have these cast in plastic (cheap), different metals like brass, bronze, silver, gold and platinum (really expensive for 10K and 14K gold and platinum but who knows maybe someday I might do one). Polished was almost double the price but the way these are cast they wouldn't have polished the parts that needed polishing anyway. I like the idea of inletting them, putting in the screws, then polishing them flush to the wood

• Like 1