Thornhill

queenannediva

I always wanted the Thornhill too, so I'm sad about that.

I was hoping that since it has been a few decades since the last boom in minis, that they would become popular with a whole new generation, but after reading the Bespaq and NE Scale Models threads, and now this one, it's making me think that maybe we won't be having another boom in minis in the near future.

Sorry about the doom and gloom post, I guess three discontinued or closing down threads in a row were just too much for me.

Aww. I have a Thornhill kit in half scale, to be built one of these days. It's a cool house (I love how it opens on all sides) but between the size and the price of components I'm sure it's cost prohibitive for a lot of people.

Kathi - I am right there with you, it is hard to think of a new surge in mini's in the face of this news. But with all the new people on this forum, it gives me some hope. I think we've seen a whole generational thing occur. Lots of artisans and miniaturists are older, sometimes experience health issues, and things change. Businesses change hands (hopefully) like Lighting Bug Lights, and continue to grow. Some, like Lawbre, are sold, but don't seem to move the business forward. 

I certainly don't have any answers but perhaps the people here who have more inside connections to business owners can help us to understand what's happening in those situations, even though I imagine each situation is different. 

• Like 1

We do have new businesses coming along, like our laser-tech member, and companies like Greenleaf who adopt the new technologies to continue to produce quality kit and components for reasonable prices in the face of rising production costs are likely to be around for the upcoming generation.  I had a chat with our local hobby shop owners about how the current generation of younger adults and their children are just not "into" crafts and hobbies that require the patience to make things with their hands.  I'm afraid its becoming  matter of demand driving supply.

You should all come to the UK. Crafting in general is booming here and it seems to be the trendy thing to do at the moment. Dollhouse and miniatures included!

Speaking as a recent convert (although been interested for ages!), someone in my early 30s with a young daughter who is equally obsessed ;)

There is an Ebay posting of a 1" scale kit that includes the components with s starting bid of $399, but it is a local pick up for now. If somebody is around there, this might be a good chance to get this  house.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Houseworks-Thornhill-Dollhouse-Kit-SHELL-COMPONENT-KIT-RG9001-2-1-scale-/262304348768?hash=item3d128eba60

• Like 1

Just so that everyone does not get the idea that interest in miniatures is fading (well it has since the good old days) I heard some complaints the last couple of days about the Marriott where the Bishop show is held in April is booked.  So appears there is lots of interest in the show and/or workshops.  I always make my reservations in September/October I can't believe people wait this late and then complain about it

• Like 1