Hobbies

WyckedWood

Does anyone else oil paint? I've messed around with it for about a year now, I'm self taught but have a few artists that I try really hard to understand their techniques. I've always loved thomas kinkade and have tried a few of his paintings, this one is after his Honeymoon at Fallbrooke Hutch. He influenced my dollhouses too, so sorry he's gone from this world. 

This is a 16x20 oil, oil painting is truly as obsessive as dollhousing! 

image.jpg

• Like 2

A few others of his that I've done (((attempted))). I don't off the top of my head remember the names of these. The little Christmas cottage was the first one I tried, it's an 8x10, then the cottage with the stream is 16x20 and the one with the one of the river alone is 12x24. 

I feel the same way about ️paintings as I do dollhouses, hate to see them go so these are all decorating my craft room :) 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Tabby and Sue, Sue I have a very hard time with drawing too. I know my painting books stress that you have to be able to draw in order to paint, other sources will say the opposite. That's definitely hard for me, but Im trying to get better.

I have recently taken up painting lessons but I am using acrylics. The lady who teaches runs four terms of classes each year (coincides with school terms) and so I did the fourth term last year and will do terms 2 and 3 this year. I painted and drew at school and in my earlier adult years, but needed to get confidence and skills up. I need to be pushed along. If I am not good at something straight away, I tend to give up. 

Your paintings are beautiful Karin. No wonder your dollhouses are so magical.

Thank you all, appreciate it. 

Shannon I started out using acrylics and transitioned into this wonderful medium..water miscible oil. For all intents and purposes water mixable oil paint is the same as traditional oil with one exception...no turpentine! You can use soap and water to clean up and even thin the paint with water. Now when I try to use acrylics it's frustrating because they dry so quickly. If you ever get a chance try the water mixable oil. Id love to see your class ️paintings! 

Yes, I used to paint with oils quite a bit, it was very long ago, but I still have my favorites . My tastes have changed quite a bit since then, but I followed the Bob Ross technique religiously, so most of my paintings were completed in one sitting/ or day. Flowers birds, scenic, cottages. I LOVE yours and I would have to agree oil painting is as obsessive as doll houses, I painted about one per week during that obsession.

• Like 1

Yes, I have no more room on my walls so started giving them away and even sold a few, it's a good feeling to start a project and have it finished in 2-3 days rather than 2-3 months, missed my dollhouses though. Think I just have an obsession about houses, I've done cabins, lighthouses, and cottages. I even did a haunted house with trick or treaters for Halloween, that was so fun :) 

There is an extender you can add to acrylic paints to retard the drying time.  The last formal art class I had was at UF the summer term when I graduated, and we were fortunate enough to have Peter Bodnar teaching an art class for elementary school teachers.  He had us making our own oil paints using powdered tempera for the pigments.  Lately I've been learning watercolor all over again for dh mini paintings.

Karin, the botanical paintings are breathtaking!  (Quite literally----I gasped when I saw them)    It sounds like you're really loving this experience and that passion shows in your work.   

Thank you so much Deb, I really do feel passionate about it.  And hungry for more knowledge and skill. 

Holly I'm sure you're already aware, but I find so many watercolor tutorials on YouTube. More than any other medium. It seems the most popular and yet also the most challenging, in oil painting if I make a mistake I can blend it all in or scrape it off. I knew about the retarder, I'm one of those weird people that likes the smell of oil paint, My mom painted when I was young so it brings back nostalgic feelings I guess. I started down the road to this new hobby because of wanting a few ️paintings for my dollhouses, then I needed a large painting for our rl stairwell and took the plunge to trying a large canvas...had to buy bigger brushes ! Have you posted any of your watercolor dh paintings? Id love to see them. 

11 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

...Have you posted any of your watercolor dh paintings? Id love to see them. 

With my photography kills (lack thereof), no.  DS has brought hi camera and has said he will humor me with taking some pictures so I can update one album and make another, so we'll see if he get any good shots of the two or three I put into the farmhouse.  They are by no means wonderful, as my first attempt in mini.  I have several books of watercolor technique.  The one I began with was focused on Chinese technique, so I'm afraid my mindset hasn't moved very far.

• Like 1

Holly, your mention of Chinese technique jogged a memory of a TV program I watched while home ill as a school girl. I must have been about ten or so, maybe 65 years ago. It was on WTTW, the public TV station in Chicago, a brush painting class by a Japanese artist. He went step by step through the process but really grabbed me when he got to the "rittle red regs of the robster". I can still hear him saying it as he brushed them into the painting. :D Of course TV then (early 50s) was black and white, so I don't know if he was using colored inks, but I can picture the finished lobster done in bold black strokes. It was beautiful, so graceful and inspirational. 

My friend Lucia was always a much better artist than I could ever hope to be, learned sumi-e when she lived in Japan.  When she came back to the US I got a package in the mail with a bamboo mat rolled around a paintbox, bamboo brushes and a box with an inkstick and grinding stone, along with most of a pack of rice paper.  My last oil paintings were copies of Japanese woodblock prints, one of a man in the rain and the other of a koi swimming.  I used black and white oils and the calligraphic brush strokes and painted them on the offcuts DH had left over from the concrete block and board bookshelves we made, that I painted Chinese red.  I also painted the offcuts Chinese red and painted the black & white paintings on hose.  I painted them in March of 1967.  Our eldest, who is adopted and half Samoan and half Japanese, was born that month, so for his 50th birthday next year I'm giving him the paintings.  Once the family began to grow I left painting behind; maybe I'll take it up again when I get too old to mini.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

-- when I get too old to mini.

What? You're telling me that one day we'll be too old to mini? Say it isn't so!! I plan to go to ground with an emery board in my hand and glue stuck in my hair!

• Like 1

I'm sure things will be peachy keen as long as you don't wield that utility knife at your doctor, Holly.

I have the other problem. I probably WILL live till I'm past 100. One of my aunts just died a couple months ago - she was 100. My mom's brothers are all alive and in their 90s. My  mom and her twin sister are 85 and going strong. And my dad's mom lived to 96. And as someone who has only her social security to live on for the next 40 years, let's just say the next couple of decades ahead aren't looking too bright for me.

Now Kathie's got me wondering - do you think I could be buried with a glue stick in one hand along with the Beacon Hill kit?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

I'm sure things will be peachy keen as long as you don't wield that utility knife at your doctor, Holly.

I have the other problem. I probably WILL live till I'm past 100. One of my aunts just died a couple months ago - she was 100. My mom's brothers are all alive and in their 90s. My  mom and her twin sister are 85 and going strong. And my dad's mom lived to 96. And as someone who has only her social security to live on for the next 40 years, let's just say the next couple of decades ahead aren't looking too bright for me.

Now Kathie's got me wondering - do you think I could be buried with a glue stick in one hand along with the Beacon Hill kit?

You aren't thinking of building the BH with hot glue, are you?  I was planning to take a huge bottle of Probond with me...