Worth It?

le.doll.house

As always, Rosie, there is only one answer - is it worth it to you? The size sounds reasonably big for a house, so $10 if it is a good shell - anytime. Do you know which house it is? Got a picture? Anything? 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Soapz said:

As always, Rosie, there is only one answer - is it worth it to you? The size sounds reasonably big for a house, so $10 if it is a good shell - anytime. Do you know which house it is? Got a picture? Anything? 

It's homemade... no kit. I have two pictures.

00t0t_1638Yhs5pHf_600x450-1.jpg

If that is wood the floor board is over 1/4 inch - that could be if it was homemade. The inside walls need to be reset, there is a lot of work. It's nice enough, but personally, I wouldn't go for a 2 hour drive just for that. Now, if there was a dollhouse store or two along the way or maybe some interesting craigslist stops - I'd be road-tripping all over it...

It's really hard to tell. I also agree, that it could be foam board and the seller just doesn't know better.

Sorry, I can't help you more with that.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Soapz said:

If that is wood the floor board is over 1/4 inch - that could be if it was homemade. The inside walls need to be reset, there is a lot of work. It's nice enough, but personally, I wouldn't go for a 2 hour drive just for that. Now, if there was a dollhouse store or two along the way or maybe some interesting craigslist stops - I'd be road-tripping all over it...

It's really hard to tell. I also agree, that it could be foam board and the seller just doesn't know better.

Sorry, I can't help you more with that.

I would def road trip all the way there... lol. I'll ponder it some more... it's been for sale for a while... if I decide to go I'll ask for better pictures and make sure it's wood... I would be annoyed if I went all the way over there for foam board lol.

if there are stores or shops in the area of the house that make a two-hour trip worthwhile you could go and check out the house.  Home made houses using scrap wood are often painted to try to cover the roughness. Is there a missing hinged rear roof piece?  If the doors and windows are salvageable components and the doll in any decent condition it might be worth $10.  It's up to you.

Could be wood just the way the edges are and the sag in the floor it looked like foam board. What's worse I don't see that there are any components like windows and doors to salvage. They look like holes with flat trim glued around them. 

I tried expanding the pic but it gets fuzzy

xx3.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jaxenro said:

Personally I like driving especially to an area I haven't seen before so what I would do might be different. 

Well so do I, but DH & I both grew up in the tradition of Sunday afternoon car trips just to see what's out there.  Rosie and her family might not be oriented that way.

Joel's onto something. The weight will tell whether it's wood or foam core board.

As for "is it worth it", that's purely up to you. If you're up for investing half a day driving, I'd say go for it. Gas is cheap, pick a day with nice weather, and enjoy the drive. :) 

What did you decide?? 

Oh Holly I love that too "let's go see what's there". 

As someone who has bought many, many already built houses in disrepair on Craigslist I can only give my "learned the hard way" opinion...I personally don't like houses that other people have built. Too many issues and not worth it. I've ended up not keeping them. 

Are you looking for a starter house? Or mansion? Not sure if you already know this but on April 1st there's a reputable online mini store who offers 40% off one item. Including dollhouses. Miniatures.com

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking for a fixer upper because I think I like decorating better than building... lol. Being a little off in ceiling heights/doors/windows etc don't bother me at this point because I'm a newbie and well looking more to practice than perfections... but while I was debating it sold... lol. But that's okay I decided for one that big (I want a big one) I want to build it. I found a plan online my friend is going to help me build... but today... while browsing the flea market... I found a Greenleaf Fairfield... :)  It's smaller scale than I'm use too but I'm willing to give it a try... I'm Happy.

back.jpg

front.jpg

openside.jpg

side.jpg

• Like 1