Rounded Doors and Molding

MLI Designs

I couldn't figure out what to do with the door (I didn't like the plan wood door included with the Sugarplum) so I decided to make a unique door with polymer clay. But now I'm having the problem of molding. I want to do molding around door but not quite sure how to achieve the rounded top. Amy suggestions?

Also, what do you use for Windows?

thanks in advance.

BTW, the polymer clay worked like a peach for anyone who is having a similar problem. Great way to create your very own piece (for whatever)

image.jpeg

• Like 2

@claireliontamer ugh, I'm so stumped. I don't really have any fancy tools so I can't cut anything out. I. Hoping there is something I can buy that's not too expensive. 

And thanks on the door. 

What are you using for Windows! Is there a certain plastic! I need immediate gratification. Don't have it in Hobby Lobby, at least not in the dollhouse area

The clear plastic packaging from your grocery bakery section are what I use for Windows.

why not use the Polymer clay for the trim? They would be consistent materials. Find a glass or cup the size you need to trace the arch.

• Like 1

I use it in my cake decorating, but it is an extruder - - you put in a little 'sausage' of clay, polymer, or rolled fondant :)  put the top on and turn the handle ..... and it squeezes out what ever shape the end disc shape is in a long string.   On one of my houses I used the wide rectangle disc to make an arched trim piece.

$_35.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My suggestion is to make one window and duplicate it with casting resin. I once made a window out of carved cooked lasagna noodles,  fettuccini and spackle. After it hardened/dried out i made a mold then made windows using casting resin. It took a while to make the pasta window frame but the mold lasted for a long time.

A pasta machine is very helpful for making moldings and trim with paper clay or polymer.

• 1 month later...

When I was trying to rehab the Pierce I had cut new moldings for the windows & doors from 1/8" basswood and some bits from 1/16" for the built-up parts.  I have made cross-buck doors from craft sticks.