Storage Wars clip

fov

1 hour ago, MLI Designs said:

What? $50 for all of that? That's a lowball number. I've never come across houses that big with accessories for such a small price tag. I wish I did. 

Heck yeah, it could turned into something great.

I remember seeing that episode. I think that house is a Real Good Toys house. We're used to seeing the tower in the middle because that's how they come today, but in the early 80s, you could purchase the house with the tower in the middle or on either side. RGT had a ton of houses with the sections switched around and each house had a different name, depending on whether the house had the tower in the middle, or if it had dormers, or if it had a front porch, etc. I don't know the particular name of this one, although I suppose I could look it up if anyone is interested.

Anyway, it's interesting to see that the interior walls look like they're only 1/4" thick, instead of 3/8" thick. I might have said $100 for the house, but not much more given what used dollhouses are going for. I would have like to have seen more of the furniture because what they showed wasn't all that great. I'm hoping it had some better pieces than what was there, but the guy was right. That furniture was typical of what was available when that dollhouse was sold and if that house was for a child, as I suspect, I don't think the parents would have spent a small fortune furnishing the house with expensive pieces anyway.

Emily, I thought at one point after they found the house, Jarrod was telling Brandi that they might get a lot of money for the house and I thought he said something like $300 or so. It's been a long time since I've seen the episode, so I could be wrong.

On another episode, someone, I forget who, found a bunch of miniature furniture and they had it appraised for some huge amount. The furniture was obviously half scale, but I couldn't tell if it was Bespaq or not, the only manufacturer I can think of whose furniture might command such a price.

Kelly - it might have been half scale JBM. I didn't see the show but I remember a few years ago someone was selling half scale JBM furniture on eBay with very low starting bids, and they mentioned having found it in a storage container and being on a TV show. IIRC it all sold JBM prices in the end, but it was nice to see someone admit that they had no idea what it was worth and start the bidding low. Or maybe that was their strategy to cause a bidding war...

I thought the $50 appraisal was fair considering the condition of the house. The furniture they showed was mass produced and nothing special. It was funny when the woman said she felt like their dumpy house was bringing down the property value in the museum. :lol:

I couldn't figure out why they went to a museum instead of a dollhouse store, since there's a couple of good ones in the LA area. At least, there used to be.

If and when I ever get my stuff on eBay, I'm going to start them out at fairly low starting prices. I've found out through the years that if I put a high starting price on something, it hardly ever sells and if I start something at a much lower price, people will bid it up to beyond whatever high staring price I wanted to sell it for. I do the same thing when I bid on something. And I'm old enough to know better even.

23 hours ago, fov said:

The furniture they showed was mass produced and nothing special. It was funny when the woman said she felt like their dumpy house was bringing down the property value in the museum. :lol:

I have gotten some of my very best pieces from estate box lot auctions, including chairs that came from Chicago Institute of Art and a hand carved eucalyptus opium bed. Just one exceptional piece is usually worth the cost of the whole box, then I sorted and sold everything else by large lots on eBay.