Pet store toy

smjsome

My grandsons birthday is in March, I'm driving there next week, and I'm almost done, the floor isn't finished, some sanding, small items.

My grandsons have two doll houses I've built for them.  One for our house, in their playroom, one for their house.  Evan has autism and a few years ago, was completely nonverbal, and not in our world.  He has made leaps and bounds, and I am so proud of him.  Creativity is hard for him, but he really connects with the doll houses, and loves pets, so it made sense.  I really hope he likes this play store!  I tried to make it more playable than realistic, so keep that in mind.

its basically a room box, on wheels, with a lift up lid, I have some toy box lever things to go onto it today.  We kept the wood natural, to go with his room, his room has a lot of very modern furniture/decor.

I've been collecting the items/animals since last summer, at thrift shops, and the goodwill outlet (.89 cents a lb) since I'm super cheap.  Like the wire for the cages, doors, came from the goodwill outlet, we just cut to fit.  The fish are bits of jewelry - toys and some are actually just printed and cut out.  

One thing he really likes at our local petstore are the posters, those I cut from ads.

he has a real affinity for rules, so enter and exit signs are important.  We must never go into a store via the exit, though I do challenge him frequently on these things, I must look a real crazy person standing in the exit and saying look Evan, I'm entering the exit and stepping in and out.  I know he gives me the eye when I do, like "you're a nut Grandma", and shaking his head as he goes into the enter side.  He will appreciate the enter and exit signage we installed.

my husband helped a lot on this build, which I wanted, but it reminded me that the reason we don't normally work together, he tends to take over ...  Just saying.  He is a bit of a bossy pants.  He built the door, the box, and some of the cages and such. He put together the aquariums, I lit it the aquarium.  We had fun!

Next week I start on his mothers bakery she requested.  Maybe soon, I can work on my houses .....

i will add some more pictures late

• Like 5

It is really beautiful Sharon. You've put so many special touches into it!

I'm glad to hear that he is doing so well, and this will give him something he can relate to!

I built two dollhouses for my two grandson's last Christmas. Now, maybe they will leave my granddaughter's house alone!!!