The Fairy Tree

Sable

Inspired by the short film The Gnomist, I wondered what I could create on my favorite backyard tree. First, a little background. This poor tree was decimated from Hurricane Wilma. It lost every branch and only the top seven feet of trunk remained. I asked the tree company to cut an angle on the top of the trunk to shed water and hoped it would sprout new limbs. It did. It is a massive tree again but will never withstand another storm as termites and rot will soon force us to cut it down.  Anyway, after surveying the nooks and crannies I realized I could make it into a Fairy Tree. Here is my first door (still not completed but I wanted to share). The plants are tiny baby airplants found in our hibiscus trees.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Thanks, I've been trying out all kinds of minis in my stash but they  are too manufactured looking.  I thought a pair of old dh stairs would work but they were way too formal.  I really am getting concerned about the tree. In one  section just thick pieces of bark are holding it up; completely hollow. 

2 hours ago, Sable said:

Thanks, I've been trying out all kinds of minis in my stash but they  are too manufactured looking.  I thought a pair of old dh stairs would work but they were way too formal.  I really am getting concerned about the tree. In one  section just thick pieces of bark are holding it up; completely hollow. 

Has anything moved into the hollow part?

6 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Has anything moved into the hollow part?

So far just ants and termites are all I've seen. Luckily, there are no large holes for anything larger than a small snake. Hopefully, a fairy or two will take up residency, soon.   But I fear it's going to be just temporary housing. I am calling our lawn sprayer company tomorrow to see if it can be treated for termites.   

Years ago my father made what he called a "brownie house" with my little brother.  A brownie is a fairy sized hobbit(his description). They made all kinds of things out of twigs and bark. Hollowed out sticks became mugs, acorn cap plates etc. Check out WyckedWood's Fairy house the Pierce and you will see exactly what I mean....love that house:drool2:

12 minutes ago, chapchap73 said:

Years ago my father made what he called a "brownie house" with my little brother.  A brownie is a fairy sized hobbit(his description). They made all kinds of things out of twigs and bark. Hollowed out sticks became mugs, acorn cap plates etc. Check out WyckedWood's Fairy house the Pierce and you will see exactly what I mean....love that house:drool2:

A brownie is a Northern British mythological creature, every house has one and they come out at night to do the cleaning (mine must be on strike!)

It's why Brownies (as in younger Girl Guides) have sixes named after other mythological creatures like Elves and Ghilli Dhus, well they do here anyway!

• Like 1

Oh Gosh, Sable,  I love this!  What a great way to use the poor tree!   If I had a tree I would love to make a fairy tree out of it......lol    I wonder how a fairy sage bush would work?   :rolleyes:

Sable, that's an awesome way to honor a beloved tree!  If you're looking for twig-like miniatures (furniture, fences, accent pieces, etc.), check the fairy garden sections at JoAnn's and Big Lots.  I've had lots of luck with finding nature inspired minis for my fairy gardens at both places.  

35 minutes ago, Deb said:

Sable, that's an awesome way to honor a beloved tree!  If you're looking for twig-like miniatures (furniture, fences, accent pieces, etc.), check the fairy garden sections at JoAnn's and Big Lots.

Thanks. I think I need a twig bridge and the fencing might accomplish this.

Great news! A tree surgeon came out to look at the tree and he said, "Yes, half of the trunk is dead but it's helping to give support to the healthy half of the trunk. Just treat the termites and don't stand under it in a hurricane."  

• Like 2