Greenleaf Village

Went thrifting today, and what did I find?! A Greenleaf Village kit. Looked through the open box, didn't look like anything had been ever touched. Not even a window out of place. This particular store was selling it as "toys and games" which is 50 cents (CAD) a lb. I paid a total of $1. I took my deal and left before anyone noticed. 

I have been kinda MIA lately, I still have a full scale martha's vineyard house I should be working on. I don't seem to have the creative space for my full scale project right now though. So now I'm thinking maybe I just need a side project to get me back in the swing. 

I'm not totally ready to transform my finished Tennyson, but I'm thinking a Halloween town? Been creeping on some of the member pictures here, but this would be my first attempt at the creepy houses. Christmas isn't really my thing, but a cute Christmas town would be sort of sweet too. I would like to do the interior of at least one, if only to use the wrong-scale furniture that my friends have been finding for me!

Any suggestions?

2016-03-07.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, you did great! I've done quite a few of the houses in my kits, but never had room to display them, so they are all in a box.

Anyway, I painted mine like regular houses in a village because I figured that way, if I ever found room enough to display them, I would change them with the seasons/holidays, that way I could use them any time I wanted to. All I would have to do is change the backgrounds from quilt batting snow to grass, or summer trees to spring, fall or winter trees, add removable fake snow to roofs in the winter, etc. Its pretty easy to change decorations and flowers and things, and quilt batting would cover up the lawns easily in winter.

For one whole summer, I carried it out doors every day, and displayed it on a piece of plywood I landscaped in front of our gift shop, but moving it in and out everyday, and setting it up and taking it down every night was a pain! I would love to be able to display it permanently.

• Like 1

I follow Debra on her blog and she is building a Minion Village with little buildings like that.

If you check her blog out, she has done some neat things with them.

http://dollhouseladysblog.blogspot.com/

I can't wait to see what you do with yours. A haunted village sounds pretty cool. Enjoy your find.

That's an awesome find!  Congrats on such a great deal!   I adore the Greenleaf villages (there are three different sets) and build a lot of them.  They're fast and easy which makes them a perfect "mini-fix" in between building big houses or just when you want to do something different.  Did you know that a lot of the Greenleaf 1:12 houses are in the quarter scale villages?  I think the one you have is the one with the baby Arthur but others have baby Magnolias, Orchids, Sugarplums, Storybook Cottages,  and even Brimbles.  <grinning>  Can you tell how much I love the village kits?  LOL!!!  I get a little excited about them.  Does it show?  :D

I have several of the houses earmarked for a mini ghost town to go out in my backyard so the lizards have a place to play.  In the past I've done a lot of them as "coffee table" decor by mounting them on a wood plaque and even non-miniaturists like them.  I do a lot of fairy houses---some on bases and some tucked away in things like planters, baskets, and washtubs, and even some in steampunk.  If you want to see them, here's the link for some of the quarter scale houses on my website.  http://www.debsminis.com/quarter_scale_dollhouse_gallery.htm   

• 4 weeks later...

Just updating! I sprained my ankle, so I've had a reason to stay home and work on these! I'm about half done the houses. I've finished the shed, the Tudor and the church.

My friend heard of my project and happened to have a bunch of creepy minis (in 1/4 scale to boot!) Left over from his "haunted cabin" that he's donated!

Some of my favourite details are the shed blood spatter, the weathered siding, and the copper roof! The stone work on the church was all freehand!

Photos below!

https://flic.kr/s/aHskvNkqeb

IMG_20160331_192255.jpg

IMG_20160331_192247.jpg

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

Melissa that is a wonderful bargain you found have fun with it.   I have extra buildings to do an improved village using index card strips to make clapboards possibly basswood strips to make new trim instead of the white cardstock, stucco using craft paint and either white sand or no slip paint additive.  I am looking at stretching the single village store into a block of 3-4  with copper seamed roofing instead of shingles on the Mansard roof, extend the Village depot into a more formidible station with a baggage room and build a water tower out of a Planters peanut can and square sticks for the framing and legs Mine are probably located way back in the photo gallery