Metal roof on dollhouse?

vbharrington

I'm not sure if this is the case in other parts of the country, but metal roofing is very big here in South Carolina.  I've been thinking about my farmhouse, and I may want to try to put a metal roof on it.  Has anyone ever put a metal roof on a dollhouse?  If so, what did you use?  We have some leftover metal from our own roof (our log house has a green metal roof) but I don't think I would be able to use it.  Any ideas?

1 hour ago, vbharrington said:

I'm not sure if this is the case in other parts of the country, but metal roofing is very big here in South Carolina.  I've been thinking about my farmhouse, and I may want to try to put a metal roof on it.  Has anyone ever put a metal roof on a dollhouse?  If so, what did you use?  We have some leftover metal from our own roof (our log house has a green metal roof) but I don't think I would be able to use it.  Any ideas?

1 hour ago, claireliontamer said:

I haven't tried it but I have seen people use corrugated cardboard painted to look like metal to achieve the metal roof look.  It might be easier to work with (and cheaper) than real metal.

Here is how my corrugated cardboard version looks:

gallery_8_988_72865.jpg

• Like 2

If you aren't in love with a corrugated roof, you can simulate a standing seam metal roof by gluing thin strips of wood or card stock (mat board) on the flat wooden roof to serve as the standing seams. Give the whole roof a coat of gesso to fill in the joint between seam and roof, then paint, using a gloss paint or if not gloss, then spray to finish with a clear gloss.

• Like 2

You can also simulate the standing seam roof with 1/16' stripwood glued to the roof and the seams covered with spackle/ joint compound & painted.  I really need to haul Maggie out to the shop & grunge her up a bit; I was curious to see what one of our Cracker shacks would look like brand new when I built her.

• Like 2

I didn't make an entire metal roof for the Sweetwater Branch Inn, since it's a shingled house, but the small area covering the faux balcony is metal on the real house, so I made it using 1/16" X 1/16" trim sanded on to sides and lots of tiny nails on a finely sanded 1/16" thick wood panel.  After painting it all aluminum, I added rust streaks running down from the steel nails.  I'm unable to post a pic of it here, but there's a photo in my MacKenzie House album.

• Like 1

I love hearing all the various methods everyone here has used! Things I wouldn't have thought of...I would have gone immediately to the dollhouse store looked for it. It so helps to see how creative everyone is.

Vicki - let us know what you end up doing...I'd be very interested.