Recommendations for next build

MLI Designs

I'm already looking for my next house. I know it will be at least two months before I am completely done with my Sugarplum dollhouse.

My head is spinning. I like the Westville, and several other small size kits. But I'm also thinking about bashing two Orchids.

For those who build many houses, what would you recommend for my wish list.

i like an open concept plan with cathedral ceilings, fireplace, stairs, etc.....I also would like mostly one floor. I know this makes it a large footprint but that's why I was thinking of bashing two Orchids, or bashing another Sugarplum with and Orchid.

Keep on mulling it, Michelle. Sooner or later the right combination will hit you. When I looked at the houseboat kit, I immediately visualized a two-story ballroom. How's that for outside the box? It meant revising the 1:12 kit into 1:24, but the Bullrushes, a family of frogs who live on it, think it came out just fine. :)  And it won an honorable mention in one of the Creatin' Contests. One of the greatest joys of miniatures, for me, at least, is the opportunity to let my imagination loose and go with the flow. Keep an open mind, and your next house will call out to you in no uncertain terms. 

• Like 1

@KathieB I agree. Just wanted some input. Garage sale season is going to start here and it is crazy. I know I will come across many dollhouses. I just don't want to pass up a house that maybe I would not consider, and I don't want to hoard either.

I just looked at your inspiration album Michele. You have some great ideas in there. I guess when you look at houses, try to envision the ones you see with some of the things in your album, and decide how easy it would be to incorporate them into your next build.

You have a lot of talent, so I'm sure your next house will be just as beautiful as your first!

• Like 1

If it's minis, it's not hoarding, it's "collecting." :)

I agree with KathieB that the next project will speak to you. Honestly, any of the Greenleaf kits is a good choice, especially since you are having so much fun with the Sugarplum. The GL kits are so versatile, there are so many ways to bash them and make them unique. Let your imagination go. And have fun! :D 

• Like 1

The Magnolia has an open concept floorplan and the rooms are much larger than they appear to be.  I left out the stairs and built my own cantilevered staircase for it which really opened up the whole first floor even more.  The kit has lots of bashing potential.  I cut holes in the roof and used 24-pane windows for sky lights which makes the upstairs very open and airy.  http://www.debsminis.com/geekchic.htm  

• Like 1

Deb, I love your skylights!

Michele, since you mentioned cathedral ceilings, what if you took a Magnolia and left out half of the second floor so it was more like a loft? You could keep the second floor area at the top of the stairs but have it end at the halfway point, so the side of the house with the peaked roof would become a cathedral ceiling for the downstairs room.

If you want more floor space you could add an addition or garage to either side of the house. Or you could build a second Magnolia "inside out" beside it to make a longer, mostly single story house.