My very own Lawbre French Country Manor!!!

miniaddicted

Finally!!! At long last, I am the proud owner of a Lawbre French Country Manor!  Man, I never thought it would happen - I'd resigned myself to settling...why I built the Thornhill with a french country theme. 

The owner is local, hence pickup only. Apparently health issues and wanted to offload it. It needs some major exterior paint color wash help to tone it down to what the Lawbre site shows as the finish. Its partially shingled...looks like its been years since its been touched. Electrified but who knows how good...rest of the interior unfinished. Some windows painted, but pictures are low quality so it looks like they are not so neatly painted I don't think all windows are done, so I will have to see....

:) I am grinning from ear to ear!! 

• Like 5

Me and hubby negotiated this....and I agreed to sell the San Francisco Row house I haven't started yet. So local Chicago area folks - PM me if you're interested. I haven't listed it yet...but if you're interested, I am too. Pickup only of course.

So now I have to rent a truck to pick it up...and jockey around houses to set it up where the Thornhill is, musical dollhouses (ala musical chairs)! 

Pics in my album 
http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=7576

• Like 1

LOL...I know ALL about deal making with the hubby!....mine was no more purchases till all houses built or home found for...sigh....

I can live with that...but he has NO idea how high that number is....lol! he forgets I work in all scales and some he cant see....

LOVE it...cant wait to see this finished!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, nuttiwebgal said:

LOL...I know ALL about deal making with the hubby!....mine was no more purchases till all houses built or home found for...sigh....

I can live with that...but he has NO idea how high that number is....lol! he forgets I work in all scales and some he cant see....

LOVE it...cant wait to see this finished!

Nutti - too funny! If only I worked in those smaller scales! 

We sorta each have our own hobbies, and not cheap ones. He's into guitars - so he has a collection too. What takes up space for him are the cases. We hung a few on specially designed hooks, but those darn cases are under things...foosball table, under one of my dollhouses...behind the couch. 

• Like 1

Funny, my husband only has one hobby, and that is bass fishing.  A year ago when decided I wanted a Sphynx cat he asked how much such a cat would cost.  I responded by asking how much he spent on fishing in one month, (he fishes 3 weekends a month) - and he countered by asking when we were to pick up my new cat.   I have found that dollhouses work much the same way, only now I am trying to negotiate either a building of my own, or space in his workshop/man cave/ boat garage to set up the houses I have.

BTW: Congrats on finding your dream house!!

That's awesome and a very nice looking house. Can't wait to see your progress and what you do with it.

Isn't it amazing how things we want appear when we have 'settled' or just given up?

You were so lucky it's in your area. A few months back, I found a house I really wanted, but it was too far to drive to get it.

Therefore, I believe this house was meant to be for you. Your dream house and local at that! Congratulations!

21 minutes ago, vbharrington said:

I have found that dollhouses work much the same way, only now I am trying to negotiate either a building of my own, or space in his workshop/man cave/ boat garage to set up the houses I have.

Yup - got that right! I had been thinking about this over the last week, and today was the last day of the sale. I couldn't sleep, and planned out all the things I knew we would discuss. I would gladly sell the San Francisco for this! Like Nutti, he'd said a while ago no more houses unless you sell one - there's just no place for them. So I came prepared with my plan of attack. I'm already rearranging the real rooms in my house in my head. Fortunately kids are gone, and we have a finished basement also. Thats where my dollhouse workshop is, and 2 other houses. One's in the Living room, and upstairs in MBR sitting area, a small cottage and roombox. Currently we have those extra 2 bedrooms since the kids are gone, and we each have claimed them for our offices - we both work from home. 

But...he also has a man cave, and has a nice new shiny desk in it for work. So he has 2 offices in effect. We have been giving away things through Freecycle - furniture we don't need - just so we have more space for our hobbies. 

I think the Thornhill will move upstairs into my office - why not look at it every day?? Then my workshop will have the dh table for my Lawbre and I can get down to it! 

21 minutes ago, CraftyMtnMom said:

Isn't it amazing how things we want appear when we have 'settled' or just given up?

You were so lucky it's in your area. A few months back, I found a house I really wanted, but it was too far to drive to get it.

Man...you don't know how true this is. Years ago, I wanna say 2004-2005, I bid on one on eBay, it was a drive to Wisconsin, so maybe 3 hours. The miniatures industry was blooming and I was already gaga over this house. But $ was not as available to me then, and I was working on my first build - the RGT Newport.

I hesitated to bid higher...and it got sold. I was crestfallen. So a few weeks later, I got an email saying I could buy it (or make an offer or something), and I looked at that email...my excitement was overwhelming...and before I did anything stupid, I contacted the real seller via ebay. She told me I was being spammed/spoofed - thank god I had the smarts to question it. 

Over the years, there have been a few up for sale, either too $$ or too far away. Funny I still have a Lawbre alert on ebay...but I also love lots of their building components and sometimes those show up. So, yes, I believe it was meant to be!

• Like 1

Lucky you!!! this house is the reason I built my French Chateau from scratch! I didn't think I could afford one, but I did purchase all the windows and doors as well as 5 Oeil De Boeuf dormers from Lawbre. Congrats! its gorgeous already, My first house was almost the Thornhill too.

Debora - I have been watching your scratch built French Chateau and salivating!  I may have to steal some of your ideas!  I am reminded of not only the windows you got, but of the various moldings and architectural items you got from Lawbre. I've now begun making a mental list of what I still have that is Lawbre. I do have some slate tile, and I think I have some white or red tile, I have some appliques...

On another related note, was searching Lawbre here...and found th posting of the Lawbre that I got outbid on - it was Deanna from Thiensville - Mini-tiques. http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=338#comment-3625  

• Like 1

How exciting! Wow, that is so wonderful! Enjoy, enjoy, I know you will! I saw one of those in person last summer in Florida in a store I think had the name Nutshell in it. The owner was working on it for a customer. So many possibilities! I'd never seen a dollhouse that big. You are a lucky lady!

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2016‎ ‎4‎:‎23‎:‎14‎, miniaddicted said:

Debora - I have been watching your scratch built French Chateau and salivating!  I may have to steal some of your ideas!  I am reminded of not only the windows you got, but of the various moldings and architectural items you got from Lawbre. I've now begun making a mental list of what I still have that is Lawbre. I do have some slate tile, and I think I have some white or red tile, I have some appliques...

On another related note, was searching Lawbre here...and found th posting of the Lawbre that I got outbid on - it was Deanna from Thiensville - Mini-tiques. http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=338#comment-3625  

Thank you, the moldings in my French Chateau I purchased from Sue Cook Miniatures

15 hours ago, aggiemae said:

I have gotten lawbre windows for commissioned houses.that house has lots of pricy windows and doors

I knew this in my head....but took a look at their site today and prices for them - you're so right! Calculating the cost of all those, I truly think I got a bargain!

So - Deborah and Aggie - how do you paint the windows? Doesn't appear that the glass is removable. But it is glass, right? Does that mean you can scrape any paint right off with a razor?

• Like 1

The glass in Lawbre windows is removable, at least in the Hooded Victorian windows.  I had to buy 32 of them for my Joseph Angel house.  A big chunk of change but they are well worth it and I got the signed, numbered and dated house for only $100.00 so I'm happy.

Congrats on your new acquisition. 

I can't see how the glass is removable on these. I'm afraid that I'll break the wood frame if I try to detach the top or bottom. Same with the French Doors. 

I too am having issues with the gallery...so you can see these in my French Country Manor album

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=7586