Carpet Questions

Cathy C

I'd like to put carpet in the bedroom of a 1:12 scale bedroom and am unsure how to proceed.  

I've seen felt, but it looks like it would gather dust pretty easy and be hard to keep clean.  So I'm considering upholstery fabric.  Does this sound like a good material to use?

Could I adhere the carpet material to poster board or mat board, or does it have to be glued directly to the floor?  What glue is best?  And how do I keep the glue from bleeding through?  Can I seal the top of the material to possibly make it easier to keep clean?  What would you use to seal it?

I obviously have a lot of questions and will appreciate any advice.  Thank you

• Like 1

When I used the dollhouse carpeting in the Otter Cove bedroom, the instructions recommended to adhere with double sided tape.  I went with acid free Elmer's double sided tape.  It seems to be working fine.

Glue is always likely to seep through a fabric/carpet.  Beyond that, it might also discolor the fabric.  I also like the idea of being able to remove it someday if it does get too dirty, which would be easiest with tape.  So, I would go with tape or test samples with glue if you're set on glue. :) 

• Like 2

I've used upholstery fabric and like it better than the miniature carpet fabric. I got a bunch of swatches on clearance at Joannes a few years ago, they were like $1 each for 18x18" squares. I used this in the living room of my Tomy house and did glue it down, without any obvious issues. The fabric is pretty thick.

Here's a blog post about installing it: http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=9077

And one with some better photos of the carpet in place: http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=9109

• Like 2

I would NOT use glue to attach the carpet directly to the floor, I am having a nightmare removing some glue/carpet from a house I am remodeling.  I like to make poster board templates of my rooms and glue and/or tape the floor on the template, then fasten that into the house.  I made a "hard wood" floor from skinny sticks for my vintage trailer and glued the sticks to the poster board, and it fits perfectly in the trailer without being fastened down at all.  I also do wall paper the same way, and fasten it with double sided tape.  Adding floor and ceiling moldings help to keep it in place also.  

As for material to use for carpeting, I do not like carpet (I don't have it in my RL house) so I rarely use it.  The carpet I am stripping from the remodel house looks and feels like velvet.  I did see areas where the rubber cement in one room and hot glue in another appeared to bleed through the carpet, so you may want to go with double sided tape.

I used velour scrapbooking paper for the bedroom floors in my granddaughter's house. I did glue it using acid free 3M spraymount. It still looks great, even though three little kids have been playing with it.

For my own houses I use hardwood floors with dollhouse rugs though. I don't fasten those down.

4 hours ago, kathi17 said:

I used velour scrapbooking paper for the bedroom floors in my granddaughter's house. I did glue it using acid free 3M spraymount. It still looks great, even though three little kids have been playing with it.

How do you like the spray glue? I haven't used it due to being too concerned that it would start curing before I got the floor glued down.

6 minutes ago, rbytsdy said:

How do you like the spray glue? I haven't used it due to being too concerned that it would start curing before I got the floor glued down.

It was over ten years ago that I built her house, so it's hard to remember much, but I had cut the velour paper to the exact size before I applied it. Since the paper was flat and thin, it was easy to position it and lay the floor.

gallery_2568_1434_19503.jpg

gallery_2568_1434_48797.jpg

After giving it a lot of thought, I decided to put down a wood floor in the bedroom that matches the downstairs living room and kitchen wood floors.  Wood floors are much easier to keep clean and dust free.

I can use throw rugs if I want to add color and interest.  It'll be easy to remove them if I decide to change the room's color scheme at a later date since they won't be glued down. 

Thank you all again for your help in making this decision.  I really appreciate it!

• Like 1