Northwestern college student with a passion for miniatures

Hi all!

I'm MiniaturesInsight, a soon to be 23 year old college student living in the Northwestern part of North America. I've been in love with miniatures since I was seven years old and my mother brought me along to a miniature show. I, of course, immediately demanded my own miniature dollhouse, but sadly it never got put together until just recently. On one level I'm glad for this, because I think my seven year old self and my 23 year old self would disagree on the details now! I hope to get a lot more work done on the dollhouse over this next summer, maybe even to the point of final details. I'm also really exited to get to know this community, since I've been reading a few of the threads as a guest for a few weeks now.

Best,

MiniaturesInsight

Hi rodentraiser,

Unfortunately I'm far enough away from Seattle that it would be most of a day's drive to get there, but I hope to go to some of the big shows after I move to Washington for graduate school in a few years. I went to one a few years back and it blew my mind, since I've only been to a few small shows.

Mimajo,

Thanks! I'm excited to be here.

kathi17,

Thanks! The dollhouse my parents bought me was a Dura-Craft Newburg Dollhouse. I remember they took me to the hobby store and let me pick out the one I wanted out of three of the medium priced dollhouses, and I apparently liked the look of that one best. I'll be starting a thread in the Dura-Craft section of the forum in a little while, as soon as I can post pictures.

Best,

MiniaturesInsight

I really like the Duracraft houses, and the Newburg is a really pretty one! Is yours tab and slot, or MDF? Both styles have advantages and disadvantages, but the MDF ones are easier to build.

Mine is a tab and slot and to make things even more fun, in the intervening 15 years since it was bought and now, when I've been putting it together, there was a little bit of minor warping in some of the plywood sheets. That said, I haven't let it deter me at all, and in fact I've been making some major modifications to the basic design of the house. Namely, I've added two entire floors to the house by buying plywood sheets in the same thickness as the dollhouse and tracing and cutting extra pieces!

Edited by MiniaturesInsight
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, MiniaturesInsight said:

Mine is a tab and slot and to make things even more fun, in the intervening 15 years since it was bought and now, when I've been putting it together, there was a little bit of minor warping in some of the plywood sheets. That said, I haven't let it deter me at all, and in fact I've been making some major modifications to the basic design of the house. Namely, I've added two entire floors to the house by buying plywood sheets in the same thickness as the dollhouse and tracing and cutting extra pieces!

That's what is great about the tab and slot ones. You can modify them much more easily! If you find you need extra pieces that match the Duracraft ones, there is a place called Manchester Woodworks that makes them, and he is very reliable.

Once you get to five posts, you can start an album to show us what you have done so far!

2 hours ago, kathi17 said:

I checked out your album, it looks great!

Thanks! I'll be adding a few more photos I took yesterday, so you can see where I'm at now. Most of the other photos are from last summer, and only the siding photos are slightly more recent then that. I've done a whole lot more since then.

2 hours ago, MLI Designs said:

Hi and welcome from another newbie. Can't wait to see your progression

Hi and welcome right back. You can see some of my progression in the album Newberg Dollhouse Kit Bashing, which I created and started posting in last night. I still have a long way to go but it's been really fun. What are some of your projects?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MiniaturesInsight said:

things I like about you already, your Otter avatar and your a problem solver! Welcome.

50 minutes ago, MiniaturesInsight said:

Haha thanks! Is that a Corgi I see in yours? I adore all dogs, but especially Corgis and German Shepherds.

Yes and we also have miniature Dachshunds, .I attached a photo I snapped last night of Emma and Herbie.

Emma & Herbie Longhaired English Cream Dachshunds.jpg

• Like 1

Aww, they're adorable. Right now my SO and I can't have dogs because we're in an apartment, but we're planning on getting a Corgi after we move to Washington and start graduate school. I've been looking for a Corgi figurine in miniature size, but I can't seem to find one that has fur, rather than being made out of resin. Do you know of anyplace?

2 minutes ago, MiniaturesInsight said:

Aww, they're adorable. Right now my SO and I can't have dogs because we're in an apartment, but we're planning on getting a Corgi after we move to Washington and start graduate school. I've been looking for a Corgi figurine in miniature size, but I can't seem to find one that has fur, rather than being made out of resin. Do you know of anyplace?

no sorry, or I would have one too!

I am thinking I do now remember someone who has posted 1:12 scale dogs with fur, am thinking they did have a Corgi in their selection, I will put it out to the group for you.

Belated welcome to the little family, Alannah.  Anya, one of our members, also makes exquisite 1:12 scale furred & feathered critters.  I have a Newburg I got as Dura-Craft was going out of business, it's pretty far down in the stack of unbuilt kits.