Dura-Craft wood flooring

stickyfingers

The DC farmhouse I'm stripping has what appears to be cherry flooring on the bottom floor only.  I've been debating whether to pull it up or not.  I'm not crazy about the dark color, but it is in good condition, so I may leave it.  I'll worry about the rest of the house first I guess.

They only gave enough in their kits for usually just the 1st floor. I used to be a dealer of their kits and used to carry their products on my website years ago. They didn't even like selling extras of those wood strips. They were very realistic and really nice. 

• Like 1

They only sold them with some of their kits too. It wasn't something they offered with all of their kits. They had a problem trying to find the wood towards the end of their business. I had purchased a kit off of eBay and they only sold more to me because I had sold so many of their kits for years. I was so sad to see them go under. :( 

• Like 1

Well, I think since I don't really love the Linfield, that flooring has to go in the Franklin! I can't imagine that cherry veneer was ever cheap, and I've never seen it made into flooring sheets. I really want to love the Linfield, but it's never pulled at my heart. At all. I think the balcony is weird and the foundation is too deep. I do love the front porch, though. I bought the kit for cheap on Craigslist mostly because it seemed like a bargain, but the more I stared at it, the less I liked it. Maybe someday I'll build it and bash it.  

I really like a lot of the Dura Craft houses, although some of the construction seems a little daunting on the larger kits. I wonder if they sold their patterns to anyone (uhem...Greenleaf?) when the company closed? I would love to see a re-issue of some of those kits!  A co-worker has the farmhouse, I think it's the Bellingham, that was a curbside find. It's partially built, came with the box and the rest of the pieces. I shouldn't, but I covet that house a lot. I have a thing for farmhouses.   

• Like 1

Lawanda, it turned out beautiful!  Just don't leave it anywhere near an open window or anywhere the sun shines near it; the UV turns that clear acetate a brownish-yellow over time.

• Like 1

I agree, your Linfield is lovely. The colors are really nice.

I have mixed feelings about the Linfield. It's an interesting house, but sort of strange looking. I got mine for about $30 on eBay not long after they went out of business. The price was so great that I bought it even though it wasn't my favorite. Then I decided I wanted my own house painted in the same colors as my granddaughter's house, but by the time I had finshed painting it, I was really tired of those colors and wished I had chosen a different color scheme. It's funny how many people come into our shop and like that house the best of any of mine because they like that color scheme. I guess it must be because they didn't finish two dollhouses with it!

I never have finished the inside. I probably should do that, and also paint the rocks on the foundation to make them look more realistic. It might look better to me then!

• Like 1

On 3/15/2016, 6:49:47, stickyfingers said:

The guy who purchased  dura craft got arrested for all manner of fraud a few years later and the Feds seized all the property and it was sold off in lots. I went to drop off a finished house and the warehouse was paid locked and all the computers in the offices where gone. He owed me $ for some houses I built for them but I was pretty low on the list of people he owed money too. It took a long time but I did get paid 75% of what I was owed and I sold some kits that I was unable to return to them to make up the rest.

5 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Lawanda, it turned out beautiful!  Just don't leave it anywhere near an open window or anywhere the sun shines near it; the UV turns that clear acetate a brownish-yellow over time.

All my houses are out of direct sunlight.  I leave space on the back of the sofa for Sir Brat.  (Cat)

• Like 1