Installing upper kitchen cabinets.

Mimajo

No matter how you glue them to the paper, I'd be afraid the glue holding the paper to the wall would one day let loose. Can you remove the paper where the cabinets will be and then use a wood glue or even something like Liquid Nails? Besides, hot glue will add bulk, so the cabinets won't be flush against the wall. No matter how you resolve this, hot glue would not be high on my list of ideas.

Install a cabinet cleat aka French Cleat. It's a piece of wood cut in half using a 45 degree angle cut. Put one half of the board on the cabinet and the other half in the wall. Lift the cabinet over the cleat on the wall and presto it's hung.  Look at YouTube for cabinet cleat if I didn't explain it well. 

I used tacky glue to adhere the cleats to the cabinet and wall. Still hanging.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sable said:

13 hours ago, Sable said:

There is a very small gap on my uppers using the cleat but It never bothered me. 

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=99054

It looks good.  I've cut crown moulding, baseboards and chair rails, but how do you cut that angle?

11 minutes ago, Mimajo said:

It looks good.  I've cut crown moulding, baseboards and chair rails, but how do you cut that angle?

Take the block of wood you'll be using, make an angled cut in it at the middle. Just eye-ball it. No precision involved. The two pieces will have complementing angles and fit together perfectly.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mimajo said:

How do you install upper kitchen cabinets?  They seem too heavy for just tacky glue and the walls are papered.  Hot glue?

Thanks,

Jo

So glad you asked this -- I also have to do this soon, and would have just papered the whole wall and then tried to stick the cabinets on if left to my own devices! 

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

Take the block of wood you'll be using, make an angled cut in it at the middle. Just eye-ball it. No precision involved. The two pieces will have complementing angles and fit together perfectly.

This has also been sort of bewildering me. I assume you'd be using a pretty narrow strip of wood.  Can you just lay it flat on a mat, lay a ruler down the middle and run your knife down the ruler, holding the knife at a very acute angle? That's the only way i can imagine pulling this off....

3 minutes ago, denkyem said:

So glad you asked this -- I also have to do this soon, and would have just papered the whole wall and then tried to stick the cabinets on if left to my own devices! 

This has also been sort of bewildering me. I assume you'd be using a pretty narrow strip of wood.  Can you just lay it flat on a mat, lay a ruler down the middle and run your knife down the ruler, holding the knife at a very acute angle? That's the only way i can imagine pulling this off....

Yes. I actually used balsa because it still gives an equal amount of strength and is much easier to cut. A 1/4" thickness or less. Just cut from corner to corner. 

You may have to glue a small piece of wood onto the bottom back of the cabinet to keep the cabinet from tilting forward.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sable said:

Yes. I actually used balsa because it still gives an equal amount of strength and is much easier to cut. A 1/4" thickness or less. Just cut from corner to corner. 

You may have to glue a small piece of wood onto the bottom back of the cabinet to keep the cabinet from tilting forward.

Wouldn't have thought of Balsa! Great idea. Thanks.