MikeUK aka ElvisHasLeftTheBuilding

KathieB

Mike has given me permission to share an update on his health challenges so long as I don't indicate that he has lost all his marbles. He's had some depressing news that a situation the medicos told him was under control really wasn't, so he's now being subjected to a new regime of chemo + radiation. He wrote, "The chemo is not the same stuff ss before and it's not going down at all well. I can't used my hands proper and if i could i can't concentrate."  The latter part of that quote may help to explain the name change and disappearance of the photos. He added, "They have also put me on a course on radio therapy for the next four weeks so i'll end up like a roast chicken."  The dear man isn't without his marbles, but he is certainly under a great deal of stress. It's good to see his sense of humor hanging tough.

Mike said he'd sent PMs to about a dozen members telling them what's going on and received a response from only two. In his depressed state he took that to mean that he won't be missed. I told him that was nonsense, that many people just don't know what to say when information like that is dumped on them. 

I don't know how much time he'll spend perusing the forum topics, but he'll get email notices of any PMs. Words of encouragement would be most welcome.

• Like 2

I am not sure how to PM MIke, since my search says there is no members by that name (MikeUK) but in case you do see this Mike, I want to let you know that I think your work is awesome, and you are awesome yourself.  There has been many times that you have replied to a comment I've made and offered advice or even just encouragement, and I really appreciate it.  I will be praying for your recovery and for you to be back doing what you love very soon.  Best wishes and I hope you get well very soon!!!

Kathie, thank you so much for sharing this with us.  We love Mike for so many, many reasons and will lend any kind of support we can so he knows he's not alone on this path.  

Thank you for the update Kathie. He had been on my heart these last couple of weeks in particular.  It is hard for most people, me included, to find appropriate words. Sometimes the best of intentions come out wrong. Its particularly difficult when we can't make eye contact or touch a shoulder.  I hope he will give us (me) some leeway in expression. He has become dear to us and I hope he will soak that in. It's not just anywhere that one can have a 'world' friend list.

That is terrible news. Mike is a great member of this community and always the first to come forward with positive comments. It's sad that others couldn't do the same for him. Mike, if you get to read this, I hope you get better soon.

• Like 1

Mike is a favorite forum personality - I hope he gets to a point in recovery where he can take up the hobby again, or at least visit the site and hobby-vicariously with us. I have really enjoyed reading his opinions and advice. 

He is such an encouraging, positive voice for everyone!! He makes works of art, but is there to encourage the smallest projects by others...so nice and such a great presence!

• Like 1

My heart is sad for Mike - - I hate hearing that he is going thru another rough patch!  He is always ready with a word of encouragement when we post a pic, and so gracious and humble when we compliment his!  And you just gotta love that humor of his!  I will try and send him a 'virtual hug' to let him know we care!

8 minutes ago, Cathy :) said:

Thank you very much for the link, Deb.  I would have never found Mike under that name.  But I cannot see the message link!

On his profile page, look to the right of his name (ElvisHasLeftTheBuilding) and you'll see the words "follow member" and then "message" with a little envelope icon beside it.  Just click on the word "message" and it'll pop up a box to compose a new message.  

1 hour ago, vbharrington said:

I am not sure how to PM MIke, since my search says there is no members by that name (MikeUK) 

He changed his name to ElvisHasLeftTheBuilding :D 

57 minutes ago, Deb said:

Here's the link for Mike's profile.  There's a link on that page for "message" if you want to send him a PM.  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=core&module=members&controller=profile&id=62152  

37 minutes ago, Deb said:

On his profile page, look to the right of his name (ElvisHasLeftTheBuilding) and you'll see the words "follow member" and then "message" with a little envelope icon beside it.  Just click on the word "message" and it'll pop up a box to compose a new message.  

Thanks for the walk-through, Deb.

To those who don't know what to say, even a simple "Thinking of you and missing you" will convey your concern. No need to be eloquent. 

To those who posted messages to him in this thread, think about sending a similar message via PM. He'll get the PM; he may not be scanning the forum to find this thread, may not see your kind words here.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing this, Kathie. I've had a few messages back and forth with Mike since I reached out to him after noticing his disappearance -- I was worried about him because I know that in the past he has changed his username and deleted his albums when he's going through a tough time health-wise. I didn't post anything to the forums at the time because i wanted to respect his privacy and figured others on the forum probably already knew somehow (as I'm a relatively new and inconsistent member of this community and didn't expect to have the "inside scoop" on things).  Looks like maybe that was the wrong call!  I am very inspired by Mike's work and so enjoy his kind advice and warm sense of humour on these forums.  Chemo is always awful, but really sorry to hear this round is even tougher than what he's faced in the past.  Thinking of you, Mike! 

2 hours ago, Deb said:

Thank you, Deb

• Like 1

Wow. I was wondering what happened. I went to show my mom his work and it was gone.

my thoughts and prayers are sent your way Mike. You were very nice and welcoming to me. Thank you. And I'm sure many miss you but just didn't know.

I sent a message to Mike, but wonder if his mailbox will fill up and he won't be able to see all his messages.  So just in case, I'll post a message here as well...

Hi Mike,

Just a note to let you know I am thinking of you.  I enjoy your posts, photos and the helpful (and sometimes humorous) comments you give.  I hope you'll feel better soon and come back to visit the forum when you can.

-Cathy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cathy :) said:

I sent a message to Mike, but wonder if his mailbox will fill up and he won't be able to see all his messages.  So just in case, I'll post a message here as well...

I think that's a great idea Cathy.  I was also wondering if his mailbox would fill up and checked to see if I could increase the capacity for him but it's not possible.  So it that does happen maybe even if he doesn't feel up to reading the whole forum, he could check into this thread once in awhile for virtual hugs from his forum family. 

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

It's still possible to delete conversations after they're read, to free up space in our messages, no?

Yes, but Mike would have to do it. Deb is saying that she cannot delete messages from Mike's message box.