What glue is best for birch veneer siding and shingles?

Rindiesel

Hello all!

Working on the Beacon Hill and am about to put up siding. Instructions suggest hot glue but I've read many postings on this forum suggesting never to use hot glue. Instructions say to avoid using white glue due to moisture in the glue warping the siding. Then I've read in Gina's blog, she uses Aileen's Tacky glue. Any other suggestions?

I use the same carpenter's wood glue I use for assembling the kit parts.  I run very small beads of glue.  I then lay a sheet of wed paper over what I've glued, lay a piece of scrapwood over  that and clamp both ends, as the shingles or siding want to curl; but it flattens right  back as it dries.

• Like 1

I've used white glue (with lots of tape and clamps) and I've used E6000 (need ventilation). I usually paint my siding or shingles first. Yes it warps, but it mostly flattens back out as it dries. :)

• Like 1

I use either tacky glue or wood glue. For the shingles I do very small dots on the top and bottom of each shingle. Then I do the same as Holly, tape or otherwise clamp every few rows. I've not had issues with warping. Just use small amounts. I tried hot glue on some of the shingles on my McKinley. I didn't like it. Hot glue is okay for non-structural components (don't build with it!), but hot glue and I just don't get along. Plus I felt like it left the shingles looking lumpy.

• Like 1

I'm the odd ball and use hot glue for siding and shingles.  The down side to it is that the hot glue doesn't spread out evenly over all the area of the siding strip so the edges might lift a bit, but the upside is that after I get it all on, I put a sheet of parchment paper (the baking variety) over the wall and run my clothes iron over it.   The heat from a low temp is enough to melt the glue and the large surface of the iron flattens it out so that everything lays down nice and pretty.  I should mention that when I do siding, it's usually done as vertical planks with no overlap but you get the idea.   I'd never use hot glue for building the house shell, but it's pretty nifty for shingles, birch tile flooring, and plank siding.  

• Like 2

An alternative to using a thin layer of glue is to just dot the glue along the length of the siding piece. There doesn't need to be 100% contact between the  siding strip and the layer below it.

• Like 1