Mini projects to travel with?

denkyem

Hi all,

I've got a couple weeks of business travel coming up next month.  I go on these trips abroad a couple of times of year, and while my workdays are packed, I am often quite bored in the evenings.  I'll sometimes have dinner with a colleague or something, but I end up spending a lot of time alone in a hotel room reading novels, watching downloaded tv on my laptop or reading things on the verrrry slow internet.  I was thinking this time it would be really nice to bring something mini to work on, so I can really enjoy the solitary time, and wind down a bit before bed.  I haven't gotten very far yet in furnishing or accessorizing my house, so small furnishings or accessories could be a way to go.  I'd need something that was fairly compact, needed only minimal supplies, something that could be put away in my suitcase each day, and that wouldn't be too delicate after being completed.  I won't have a car, and will be mostly operating out of a small suitcase (but I can check this on my flight so liquids and sharp objects are ok).

I've seen a few of  you mention taking small projects on the road with you before, so I'm looking for your stories of mini-crafting while traveling, and what your favourite portable projects are.

I thought of working on folding/gluing a bunch of printies (I want to make books out of scanned dustcovers), or working on flowers/plants (i'd probably need to buy a kit or two).  Any other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

I do my mini rug stitching when traveling, and that could include all mini needlework (knitting, crocheting).  For flowers all you'd need would be a paper punch or two, some colored tissue paper, fine wire and snips.  Some members take furniture kits.

• Like 1

Books and printies are great travel projects because they start out flat :) you really only need good scissors and glue (and maybe a scoring tool). Bring a sturdy small box for your finished pieces and you can do a lot of printie and book accessories.

Flowers might be a good travel project if you do your prep work ahead of time and just work on assembly. You'll need all the parts and stems, glue, a ball tool for shaping, small scissors, foam or something to hold the drying stems, and something to hold the finished pieces in so that they aren't damaged after you create them.

I like taking things that I need to sand, such as window trim and other small pieces. Even though I work in 1;24 and build laser cut kits, the edges need clean up and this is a time consuming job I can do even while watching a movie. 

A lot of people take stitching, knitting and crochet and other fabric projects.

• Like 2

I was also thinking of needlework, printie and flower making. A plastic margarine or cool whip container would work to hold your finished creations and keep them safe. You could even put some tiny zip lock bags in the container so you can keep them separated somewhat, rather than rattling around together in the container.

• Like 1

When I went to watch my grandchildren in North Carolina I needed something to keep me occupied while they were in school.  I took a couple of small pieces of furniture, end table, chairs, small chest.  I was flying so I took a small toolbox to bring them home in, along with bubble wrap.  I put them together, but finished them at home.

Making frames/framing little works of art. I have tons of "paintings" for my dollhouse that I have gotten from catalogs, greeting cards, postage stamps, or printed out...and they all need frames. If that's your thing, you could easily pack some trim for framing and a craft knife (in checked luggage) or mini miter box and mini saw. Once the frames were made, you could paint them/add gilt, etc before gluing the image into it.

Another thing I do when I have time but no access to my mini stuff is RESEARCH - downloading images I want to frame, images for to decal onto my china, images to print out onto felt for printed rugs, images of houses I like, etc.  Or maybe instead of novels, you could take a stack of vintage Nutshell News! :-) Mini-education immersion time!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

Making frames/framing little works of art. I have tons of "paintings" for my dollhouse that I have gotten from catalogs, greeting cards, postage stamps, or printed out...and they all need frames. If that's your thing, you could easily pack some trim for framing and a craft knife (in checked luggage) or mini miter box and mini saw. Once the frames were made, you could paint them/add gilt, etc before gluing the image into it.

Another thing I do when I have time but no access to my mini stuff is RESEARCH - downloading images I want to frame, images for to decal onto my china, images to print out onto felt for printed rugs, images of houses I like, etc.  Or maybe instead of novels, you could take a stack of vintage Nutshell News! :-) Mini-education immersion time!

6 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I do my mini rug stitching when traveling, and that could include all mini needlework (knitting, crocheting).  For flowers all you'd need would be a paper punch or two, some colored tissue paper, fine wire and snips.  Some members take furniture kits.

Thank you all for your suggestions! Lots of great ideas here I wouldn't have thought of -- like framing, that hadn't even occurred to me. And Elsbeth, you make a very good point about research! The last time I was on one of these trips I did do mini research online -- but more of the hunting-for-products variety, and it just ended in me doing a bunch of online shopping, which got expensive (plus my partner kept wondering why all this stuff kept showing up on our doorstep while I was away).  Searching for images, setting things up in photoshop, etc. would be very productive.

Holly and others, the needlework idea is quite intriguing -- that's something I could even do in airports and on my 7+ hour flights.  I actually haven't touched mini needlework at all yet, but it's something I'd be quite interested in trying, particularly needlepoint rugs.  Any particular tutorials/kits you'd recommend for a total beginner?  

I started out with even-weave cotton and a fine tapestry needle.  Nowadays there re books of charted mini needlework, but when I got started I used charts for full sized items and the fine, even-weave cotton and single strand embroidery thread generally took care of the size.

I know I'm late on this, but definitely needlework for me!  There's something about cross-stitch that's very calming, and you can end up with a really nice piece for your house or room box.  (You can see my cross-stitch rug in my Bungalow album.)  For a beginner, I wouldn't go any smaller than 28-count evenweave, which is readily available at places like Joann's and Michael's. It will be small enough to look nice in a miniature scale, but not so small that it's hard to see.  This site has a lot of nice patterns:  https://www.pinterest.com/juanitabozzer/miniature-cross-stitch/   I would stick to something a little more basic for a first rug (not, for example, an aubusson).  You might even try a miniature pillow or sampler first.  Be sure to get a good hoop or frame and keep your fabric tight so that it doesn't skew as you stitch.  Have fun!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, denkyem said:

Holly and others, the needlework idea is quite intriguing -- that's something I could even do in airports and on my 7+ hour flights.  I actually haven't touched mini needlework at all yet, but it's something I'd be quite interested in trying, particularly needlepoint rugs.  Any particular tutorials/kits you'd recommend for a total beginner?  

In one of her blog posts, Casey mentioned that she keeps the cloth, needle, small scissors, thread, etc in an old eyeglass case for travel. Sounds perfect to me -- small and compact, and a good way to store the project-in-progress at home, too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm trying to get myself organized with a first miniature needlework kit!  Of course my tendency is to immediately get extremely ambitious.  I am in love with this pattern: https://www.etsy.com/listing/94692084/dollhouse-carpet-pattern-bascombe-manor?ref=shop_home_active_3

She recommends doing it on 22 count, so that's within reason, but... I am pretty sure that pattern is on the "advanced" side.  Obviously very intricate! Would I be insane to attempt it?  It would be perfect for my dining room.  And what are thoughts on needlepoint vs cross-stitch for something like this?

My other idea is less intricate: my living room wants a big grey/white/navy geometric rug, and i cannot find any mini product or mini rug pattern that aligns with my vision.  So, to pull it off I'd have to find the right full-sized pattern and then turn it in to my own chart, and I wonder if that's also a bit ambitious for a first timer.  I've read things on Brae and Casey's blogs about doing charts and i understand the process, but I'm still hesitant.  Also that rug has to be biggish (like maybe 8x8 or so) and would thus presumably take quite a long time. 

Advice appreciated!

13 minutes ago, denkyem said:

Ok, I'm trying to get myself organized with a first miniature needlework kit!  Of course my tendency is to immediately get extremely ambitious.  I am in love with this pattern: https://www.etsy.com/listing/94692084/dollhouse-carpet-pattern-bascombe-manor?ref=shop_home_active_3

She recommends doing it on 22 count, so that's within reason, but... I am pretty sure that pattern is on the "advanced" side.  Obviously very intricate! Would I be insane to attempt it?  It would be perfect for my dining room.  And what are thoughts on needlepoint vs cross-stitch for something like this?

My other idea is less intricate: my living room wants a big grey/white/navy geometric rug, and i cannot find any mini product or mini rug pattern that aligns with my vision.  So, to pull it off I'd have to find the right full-sized pattern and then turn it in to my own chart, and I wonder if that's also a bit ambitious for a first timer.  I've read things on Brae and Casey's blogs about doing charts and i understand the process, but I'm still hesitant.  Also that rug has to be biggish (like maybe 8x8 or so) and would thus presumably take quite a long time. 

Advice appreciated!

Stitch by stitch is like inch by inch.  Whether I'm stitching a 1:24 mat or a 1;12 Aubusson that's how I do it.  I use a half-cross stitch for my basic needlepoint stitch.  I have been known to Google images of contemporary rugs and draw the outlines directly onto the fabric to get the finished size I want

• Like 1

Actually, the intricate looking patterns are sometimes easier for me! When you have multi color changes, and you start stitching in the center, it's easier to keep count of my stitches. I started a new kit recently, with the center just one solid color, and realized I'm off on my counts and will have to go back and rip it all out. Sigh.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, blueirishmoon said:

Actually, the intricate looking patterns are sometimes easier for me! When you have multi color changes, and you start stitching in the center, it's easier to keep count of my stitches. I started a new kit recently, with the center just one solid color, and realized I'm off on my counts and will have to go back and rip it all out. Sigh.

Alright, that's what I needed to hear! I'm going to buy that etsy pattern and see how it goes.  Thanks everyone! 

• Like 1

And now to pick my fabric.  The chart suggests 22 ct, and  all i can find in 22 ct is Aida.  I read somewhere that Aida fabric really shows through the stitches -- is that true? I thought of transferring to a 22ct but then realized the dimensions of this would be way too small.  Should I just do Aida?  Again, given that I don't know what I'm doing here... on the other hand, I want to give myself the best possible chance of making something I'll actually like! 

5 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Aida is fine, you might want to play with a test bit a to whether two or three plies gives you better coverage.  You may also want to do cross stitch on aida.

How about 24 count congress cloth? I think I'd rather needlepoint than cross stitch.  

Thank you so much for all this advice! Wouldn't know where to start otherwise

Emily, I am the Casey that Kathie B mentioned above.  I have several "mini travel kits" made up and ready to go.  If you go to this URL you can see some of the different take along kits that I have traveled with.  I hope that this will help.                    http://caseymini.blogspot.com/search/label/mini%20workbox  There are also some rug patterns if you go to the sidebar and look under "rugs".

Good luck with finding something that will occupy your travel time. I would love to see what you do on your trip.

On 4/1/2016, 10:07:16, Caseymini said:

Emily, I am the Casey that Kathie B mentioned above.  I have several "mini travel kits" made up and ready to go.  If you go to this URL you can see some of the different take along kits that I have traveled with.  I hope that this will help.                    http://caseymini.blogspot.com/search/label/mini%20workbox  There are also some rug patterns if you go to the sidebar and look under "rugs".

Good luck with finding something that will occupy your travel time. I would love to see what you do on your trip.

Thanks Casey! I knew who you were when Kathie B mentioned you -- I've often read your blog, and it was one of the first resources I turned to once this thread got me thinking about mini needlework.  The ideas about making up travel kits are great inspiration! 

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. After some further thought, I've decided to wait on doing a Persian-style rug for the dining room, and will start with a simple contemporary geometric rug for the living room.  I think what I have in mind will be a bit more forgiving of the lumps and uneven stitches that are bound to happen in a first project.  I had an aesthetic and a color palette in mind, but couldn't find what I wanted, so I made my own chart after all!  It's a very simple repeating geometric pattern inspired by a RL rug I found online, but adapted enough that it's definitely original. 

I went to Michaels last night and grabbed some thread, needles, 28 count Monaco and a hoop.  I was in a rush as the store was closing and I wish I hadn't forgotten to get a needle threader, but at least it was enough to get started.

I got myself set up last night and did a couple hours of stitching.  I'm using continental stitch with 2 threads  (is that the same as tent?) and although I'm definitely making lots of beginner errors and having to unpick things due to pattern mistakes and snarled threads, I do think my pattetn's going to look pretty good, and I can see this is  going to be quite easy and very addictive!  I'm going to try to grasp basket weave stitch for background fill-ins, but will wait on that for a while.

i got a fairly big hoop (maybe 12 inches across?) but think it may be a bit awkward for travel.  My finished piece should be around 8x10.  Should I get a smaller hoop for travel and only stretch one part of the pattern at a time? Or maybe try working without a hoop on the road? Thanks all! 

Definitely a hoop, especially starting out; stitching in hand (without a hoop) and having your work come out even takes a very even tension on the thread.  You will also find that the smaller hoop helps keep the fabric taut.  I think, especially in mini, the half cross stitch looks like the tent stitch on the right side.  Your floss is less likely to tangle or break if you work with shorter lengths.  When I'm working with two strands I fold a single ply in half and thread the two cut ends through the eye.  When I come up from below to begin  first stitch I leave the loop formed by he folded ply on the back side and when I bring the needle back through the fabric to finish the stitch I thread the needle back though the loop and gently pull it closed.  This forms the "eye of the lark" instead of a knot,  After that,, when I want to start a new floss or change color I pull the thread through some of the prior stitches on the back side and begin to stitch.  This keeps the back fairly flat by not having the bulk of knots.  I finish off a thread the same way, running the needle through the backs of some stitches.

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Definitely a hoop, especially starting out; stitching in hand (without a hoop) and having your work come out even takes a very even tension on the thread.  You will also find that the smaller hoop helps keep the fabric taut.  I think, especially in mini, the half cross stitch looks like the tent stitch on the right side.  Your floss is less likely to tangle or break if you work with shorter lengths.  When I'm working with two strands I fold a single ply in half and thread the two cut ends through the eye.  When I come up from below to begin  first stitch I leave the loop formed by he folded ply on the back side and when I bring the needle back through the fabric to finish the stitch I thread the needle back though the loop and gently pull it closed.  This forms the "eye of the lark" instead of a knot,  After that,, when I want to start a new floss or change color I pull the thread through some of the prior stitches on the back side and begin to stitch.  This keeps the back fairly flat by not having the bulk of knots.  I finish off a thread the same way, running the needle through the backs of some stitches.

Holly, I had read that with half cross-stitch there was more likely to be distorting of the fabric -- I gather you don't find that's a problem?  I just saw that that "eye of the lark" idea (what a weird term!) somewhere else today, and it's going to be so helpful.  The way this pattern is designed I'll be stitching several small motifs one at a time on to the fabric and then filling in lots of background afterwards, so generally when I start a section there won't be any nearby stitches around for me to run the thread under.  

As I do this I've been reminded that I actually did have a past experience with needlepoint. When I was about seven, someone gave me a kids' needlepoint kit of a cartoony elephant on a very wide canvas.  Nobody showed me how to do it, so i think I just tried to figure it out for myself.  I now realize that I probably worked it in half cross-stitch one way and tent the other way, because I remember the  back had alternating different rows.  I also ran out of the wool that came with the kit when I was about half way done. I ended up giving up on the whole thing after hours and hours of work.  It was fun for a while and then so discouraging!   I wouldn't be surprised if it's still stuffed in a box in my parents' attic. 

Oh, a follow-up question on the hoop: Can I use a hoop that's smaller than the area I'm ultimately going to be embroidering? I mean, can completed embroidery be drawn through between the rings of the hoop or will that wreck it?