How would you make this?

MLI Designs

I need some ideas on how I could make these wheels. I love this coffee table. Wanted it ffor r my house but hubby doesn't like truly rustic industrial design. He feels it looks like you are garbage picking.

So, I'll just have to make it for my house.

image.jpeg

I would start with those brackets on the edges. After that, you can just buy the wood in the length you want, slide them into the brackets and attach the screws (I think  you're going to have to drill a starter hole for those screws). You may end up with something that resembles a planter box. Then just lay the wood across the top . I can't see the underside so I don't know if there is any special bracing under that for the top.

I've seen catalogs that sell nothing but brackets like that for building a shed - you get the brackets and then buy the 2 x 4 s to build the shed.

Then you're going to have to buy the wheels. It looks like you might be able to get the front and back wheels separately, and the side wheels probably come together with their axle. If that's the case, then I'd wait to have the side wheels before you decide how wide you want this, because the width of the axle may be a limiting factor. I have no idea where you'd get the wheels besides a hardware store or Home Depot, but I would bet a dollar to a donut that there are specialty shops that make this sort of thing.

And of course, you'd have to stain the wood before you put the whole thing together.

Good luck!

Or wait....were you talking about building a miniature of this? Because I wouldn't know where to start on making that! LOL

4 minutes ago, MLI Designs said:

@rodentraiser yes, miniature.

i can manage making the cart but the wheels are stumping me

Snap fasteners in two sizes.  They come with holes through the middle so you can place them with pins to sew them on where you want them, so you can run your bits of axl wire through the holes.  I would use matboard for the brackets and puffy paint for the rivet heads.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Snap fasteners in two sizes.  They come with holes through the middle so you can place them with pins to sew them on where you want them, so you can run your bits of axl wire through the holes.  I would use matboard for the brackets and puffy paint for the rivet heads.

I don't even know what those are. Do I just type that in search?

6 hours ago, MLI Designs said:

@rodentraiser yes, miniature.

i can manage making the cart but the wheels are stumping me

Well, smack me with a styrofoam log. Where's the dunce cap? I mean, I did know I was posting on a site about miniatures. LOL

Sorry, folks, I washed my brains this morning and I can't do a thing with them.

• Like 4