Beacon hill siding question

Rindiesel

Hello All,

I'm working on my Beacon Hill and just finished siding the porch area. According to the instructions, I'm supposed to install all the windows and trim before putting up the siding and just cut it to fit around those areas. Then in Gina's blog I read she installed all the siding before putting in the windows and bay window roofs. Has anyone else done the siding this way? I just don't want to glue down siding before installing the windows or bay roofs and then have them not fit over the siding. 

Thanks !

This is one of those.. which comes first the chicken or the egg questions that can be maddening for us dollhouse builders. Don't have an answer but we all deal with it. All that I would suggest is not gluing the window frames but placing them on the house with tacky wax or similar until you're %100 sure youre ready. That probably doesn't help with your specific question though. 

• Like 1

I haven't built the BH specifically, but when I do siding I dry fit everything before gluing it down. If I'm butting the siding up against the window trim, I do as Karin suggests and either tape or use glue dots to hold the trims in place while I cut and fit the siding around the trims. If I'm placing the trims on top of the siding, there is still some cutting and fitting of the siding around the window and door openings. You might consider making templates for the areas you are having difficulty with.

• Like 1

I installed the door and window trims over the siding on the Westville,  the very first house I ever sided.  I never did that again.  During the dry fit I lay the trim pieces top their openings and trace around them.  I mask those areas for priming/ painting and I butt the siding strips up to the trace line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rindiesel said:

To those who installed siding before window trim: did you also install siding before adding bay window and kitchen roofs?

I put the bays in first and roof in first.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rindiesel said:

To those who installed siding before window trim: did you also install siding before adding bay window and kitchen roofs?

Apparently I did, and had a note about the consequence of installing siding first:

• Like 1

I did the siding after the vertical and horizontal trim but before the windows.  Installing the windows was one of the hardest parts of the project, nothing seemed to quite fit right.  If I had to do it again, I'd probably do the siding last.

A tip on the siding: for the parts of the wall that are very thin, you can use a half piece of siding held vertically and glue small pieces of siding to that to construct and independent piece and just glue that one thing to the house.  Look at the bottom right corner of this picture, it is the piece I made for the tiny corner to the right of the kitchen bay on the back side of the house - https://www.flickr.com/photos/30210504@N05/21416924303/in/album-72157652409834015/

I also found that cutting the pieces and labeling them with letters to match lettering I added to the house was a very helpful way to organize the work -https://www.flickr.com/photos/30210504@N05/21850214148/in/album-72157652409834015/

This way I was able to cut a bunch of pieces and glue them to the house, instead of cutting and gluing one at a time.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Edited by Ris
  • Like 2

@Ris: I literally just finished putting up the last piece of siding. 346 pieces! I counted hahaha. I did think about doing what you did with that small piece for the right wall of the kitchen bay after the fact lol. I also installed the siding before the windows so I hope I won't have too much of a problem. We'll see :ermm:

Ah, sorry I was too late.  You'll be able to get it to work, you'll just need to widen the notches on the sill.

When you do get to the windows, I recommend gluing the sills and window tops together before painting, every millimeter counted for me.  Perhaps it was my specific cutouts, or all my chickens coming home to roost from when the walls and floors didn't fit together perfectly, but the pieces in the windows just didn't really fit.  Thinking about it more, I don't think the siding was to blame.  Hopefully you have better luck than I did :-)

Note - the sashes are the only thing that really NEED to be painted first.  You don't want a painty mess on the plastic window sheets.

Edited by Ris
  • Like 2