Condo Garden -- it isn't just containers any more

KathieB

I miss my big gardens in Missouri but not the grunt work necessary for building and maintaining beautiful blooms. I thought that when we moved to the condo permanently, I'd be happy container gardening. I wasn't happy, though. I needed to get down and dirty. So last week I borrowed a shovel and dug in the front yard. We're lucky enough to live on the ground floor. Well, not exactly lucky -- we planned it that way to avoid stairs in our golden years. One of the bushes from the original landscaping died long before we moved in, leaving a lovely open spot right in front of our place. It was just crying to be planted, and it's not so big as to be unmanageable. I blogged the front yard transformation despite aching muscles from the unaccustomed exercise and heavy lifting -- bags of stones, garden soil, mulch. See it here.

The back porch is paved but gets more sun. It's next. Am thinking to try tomatoes in containers, and Lloyd is itching to get a cactus garden going. He had to leave all of his cactus friends behind when we moved, poor soul, and he misses them. We need to track down a used baker's rack, I think, but the idea for this area hasn't yet jelled.

I just checked out your link.  Now this brown-thumbed old lady is green with envy!  Continuing down, I see you're a fan of turkey vultures.  the year we attended the All-Florida Paddlers' Rendezvous at Hillsborough River State Park one of our paddles included a section of the Hillsborough River where we paddled smack through a turkey vulture rookery.

There is just something magical about putting roots in the ground. I enjoyed reading your update, what you've done, and the bit about the "graveyard ferns".  Its amazing that they can survive in such a small soil space between the bricks. I would say now you are truly at home.

2 hours ago, ElvisHasLeftTheBuilding said:

You have some fascinating blogs Kathie! A really interesting few hours read. Thanks!

You're welcome, Mike. I do go on some ... lol