Suggested Supply Sites?

AngelaL

I'm going to start to try to fix up my old dollhouse to give to my sister-in-law and future niece.  We don't have any local stores here for purchasing supplies and such.  I was hoping to get some recommendations for some sites to order through that aren't too expensive but yet have good quality supplies.  I'm mainly just doing exterior work and may attempt to wallpaper.  (I'm pretty new to this so will see how it goes)

Thanks in advance!

Angela 

Many supplies can be had at your local hardware store or big box DYI store like Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards, etc., or craft stores like Hobby Lobby or Michael's. For doll-house specific items, many of us use Hobby Builders Supply at http://miniatures.com . For wallpaper, many use scrapbooking paper, wrapping paper, or patterns printed on home computer. There are many other options. These are off the top of my head. 

Also, there are options other than the obvious. Need siding? Strips of cereal-box weight cardboard work well instead of buying wood siding strips. Need bricks or stone for the foundation? Sandpaper or cardboard egg cartons work well and cost little or nothing. And more! I'm sure others will expand on this.

Good luck with your rehab. Do feel free to ask questions. :) 

P.S. I've sent a message to an administrator asking if this thread could be moved to the General Mini forum for greater exposure.

7 minutes ago, KathieB said:

P.S. I've sent a message to an administrator asking if this thread could be moved to the General Mini forum for greater exposure.

Done!  :)

7 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Done!  :)

Angela,  the hardware store yields 1/8' plywood to bash with, premixed wallpaper paste to hang wall coverings, paint, paint chips to use for tiles, Formica sample chips to use for counter tops and table tops and tools for making minis.  The big box craft stores & hobby shops carry basswood and mini millwork for making furniture, windows and doors, and beads and jewelry findings for hardware, scrapbook papers and giftwrap and fabric for wall coverings and fabrics and flosses for stitching rugs, and polymer clay for making food and dolls.  Thrift stores yield silk and cotton clothing to be recycled into dollhouse drapes and linens and neckties for mini upholstery jobs and costume jewelry to be recycled into all orts of miniature furnishings, light fixtures and other accessories.  Invest in one or more of Patricia King's miniature-making books and you will see sources in all sorts of places.

For supplies I use ebay mostly...but if you're lucky enough to have a dollhouse miniatures shop in your area, nothing beats shopping in person and getting advice from shop owners. Miniatures.com is a trustworthy site, you can sign up for their free catalog which will come with coupons on the back. April 1st they offer %40 off one item..good time to splurge :)