foam board

Minaeu

As usual I came to forum to check if any replies to my post and sat for an hour going through pictures and posts lol.

I saw that foam board is used for many things, I was specifically looking at a chimney as well as a house front done with it. Now I have foam board, from some other project, but it seems thick to me. It has an almost paper exterior with Styrofoam in middle, when you cut it all small pieces go everywhere. I bought it at Michaels Craft Store, brand name on it was Elmers I believe. They also have the foam in the kids crafting section, I think packages are called...'foamies'

:doh:

Would love to know which to use.

I use the foam board that has the shiny plastic/ paper on both sides over a dense foam inside.  When I cut it with a very sharp new blade in my utility knife I don't get any crumbs, and I stand when I cut it and use a steel straight edge with a cork back so as to get a nice, even, vertical edge to my cuts.  For a chimney you might rather want to make angled cuts so you don't have layered edges exposed.

I used foam board to extend the height of the second floor of my Primrose and I used the foamies cut and dry washed for shingles. I have a Primrose album if you would like to check it out. I did have to take into account the extra thickness of the foam board. I used craft sticks to balance it. Work with both sides of the foam board at the same time to keep it from warping.

• Like 1

I use Sintra PVC foam board. I've bought it on eBay but you can get it from many sites on the internet. And like Jackie said, use a new blade for getting nice clean accurate cuts. Here's a link to some 3mm Sintra boards (they come in many other sizes, too): http://www.ebay.com/itm/3MM-1-8-SINTRA-PVC-FOAM-BOARD-PLASTIC-SHEETS-YOU-PICK-SIZE-AND-COLOR-/281469003858?var=&hash=item4188dc2852:m:mmt0KTZ_p9iGr83_HtQp4Iw

• Like 1