Miniatura 2016 Birmingham

Hi All, just wondering if anyone is going to the Miniatura fair in Birmingham at the weekend? I need some nice realistic looking grass for a garden scene, but the best I can find here online is targeted towards mini railways of a much smaller scale and I feel I need to see them in person before buying. So I looked up dollhouse fairs in my neighbourhood and the next one is the end of June! As Miniatura is this weekend I decided a drive was worth it to get started on minis again. Been to a few 15-25 ish exhibitor fairs, but nothing bigger, can't wait now! Have to discuss a budget with hubby, but otherwise any hints or tips? Taking my MIL as she has done a few houses in the past but nothing recently, maybe get her inspired again. 

Glad to see you back, Muriel!  I hope life has been treating you nicely; I know two little girls plus a job keeps you busy!  I set myself a limit on how much money I an afford to spend, then try to limit myself to things I cannot make myself and still get as much for the money as I can.

• Like 1

So nice to be welcomed back by you all :)

We had a nice time at the fair, wasn't as big as I expected, but some lovely fun things to see. I went mainly to get some bits for my new garden scene, there were maybe three exhibitors with flowers for sale, but none of them had any grass on display. Eventually found one single stall with some sheets of grass which would do and are far better than the uniform green grass I'd seen for dollhouses elsewhere. The grass is very short (I think train scale) but will do for freshly mown grass ;-) It was a bargain too. Also found a brick garden path set, 60% off, my other bargain for the day. My splurge was a pot of teeny tiny snowdrops, my favourite flower. 

There were some great mushroom pots, but I've decided I need to try my hand at making some myself :)

My niece discovered shrinkies recently and my sister found shrinky flowers on pinterest, perfect timing to make lots of mini flowers for my garden, so excited to try these out!

Also got some cups and bowls and discovered some lovely looking 1/24 scale furniture sellers who I've been investigating online. They also do 1/48 scale,  and thinking that might be the way forward for my full, space limited, RL house. 

My MIL is inspired to get her partly built house out that she hasn't worked on in 8 years or so, so that was a great outcome too, and she *needs* to go back for accessories when she's done, so we'll have to go back in the future for that :-D 

• Like 1