Beachside versus Classic Bungalow

I see that the Classic is slightly bigger and has a different front elevation (which I like). Is there really that much of a difference besides the price tag? I would bash either one so not sure if I should save my pennies for the classic or just go with the beachside

Well, you can certainly get the Beach Bungalow cheaper. I saw it on the Hobby Lobby page a week or so back and there was a 40% coupon you could use to get it. I'd check there first because that's a pretty good deal. Unfortunately for me, I have a self imposed restriction on supporting Hobby Lobby, so I have to pass on that.

• Like 3

Since you are planning to bash anyway, I say go with the less expensive model. I had a Beachside started that did not survive a
Corningware dish smashing through it. (Long story)  The roofs are the same pitch and the dormers look to be almost the same size. The little cap roof on the Classic could be easily bashed. I have the Classic in 1/2 scale, and that detail is just a little triangle with some beveled roofing attached. Classic is wider than the Beachside, but again I don't think it matters too much if you are bashing it anyway.  Can't wait to see which one you pick!

• Like 1

I was going to buy the Beachside Bungalow last Friday using the HBS 40% off coupon.  When I went to make the purchase HBS had big red letters saying they were out of stock until September.   I emailed RGT and they confirmed they had none in stock and won't have any until September.  So if you need one before then you might want to grab one at Hobby Lobby before they are all gone.

• Like 2

@queenannediva on your advice I ran over to Hobby Lobby to only find one there and it's mine now. But I'm not allowed to have it until Mother's Day. Gives me more than enough time to plan and purchase extras for it. Now just have to get my boys to buy me some tools for mom's day.

thanks for the heads up. I would have been sad if I went there to get it and they didn't have anymore until fall. 

• Like 3

Congrats on the bungalow, I can't wait until you can start working on it!

I saw that you visited me on Pinterest today, then I visited you, and spent over an hour there. You've got some great stuff pinned! Got some interesting ideas for lighting. those single LEDs with the battery in them might be great for making my own lights and not having to run wire. The paper clip thing might be useful too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chapchap73 said:

Who are you guys on Pinterest? I have way to many pictures of cute kittens that I cannot have in my feed :D

I'm here:https://www.pinterest.com/kathi17a/

Scroll down past all the cardmaking pages to see my miniature pages. I probably should have made a second account just for the miniatures, rather than using the same account.

Where is your pinterest?

First, a question: what is meant by "bashing? From the context, I get the feeling it means to start with a kit, then make major structural changes to it.

My first build was the Beachside Bungalow, which I received as a gift. It was easy enough for this "mechanically challenged" newbie to build without major help. ("Mechanically challenged" means I'd never build anything, not even a birdhouse!)

Hobby Lobby is "the only game in town" for hands-on purchases of craft supplies of all sorts, especially miniatures, except for the occassional non-miniature related items that can be found at Walmart. Joann's has a few things, but that brick&mortar store is hit or miss on miniatures. There's a Michael's in Huntsville, 70 miles away, but they don't carry miniatures any more. The nearest stores dedicated to miniatures or which carry a lot of mini-related items are in Nashville, TN or Burmingham, AL, about 150+ miles away.   I have issues about supporting Hobby Lobby, but I'm stuck with them here in the middle of nowhere.

Yes, I can buy most of what I need or want via the web, but it is nice to look at or hold something, to get an idea of size/scale/material.  Also, online retailers add shipping & handling charges that can be ridiculous for most dollhouse & mini items. 

My new dollhouse kit, Victoria's Farmhouse, was purchased at Hobby Lobby,. Last Christmas, when I decided on which dollhouse kit I wanted as a gift from my husband, we found the Victorias's Farmhouse kit at $100 less than anywhere on the web, plus the 40% off coupon - so, we paid less than half-pr!ce for it.

• Like 1

There's a miniature store in B'ham?  Where?!??  Hey, Sue!  Mary, you'd be amazed at some of the places you can find miniature ingredients.  I have found House of Miniature furniture kits in thrift stores (once I found a partly built Sweetheart Cottage kit in a thrift store that I rehabbed & donated to Toys for Tots, and an Orchid that was beginning to fall apart that is in my workshop awaiting rehab (along with  few other hot-glue-built pretties) and a Laurel that was literally falling apart that I also rehabbed and sent to Toys for Tots.  I had to bash the stew out of that one because the doors and windows were hot glued on and destroyed in the removal, and the porch was never on.

On Sun Apr 10 2016 08:43:03 GMT-0500, kathi17 said:

I'm here:https://www.pinterest.com/kathi17a/

Scroll down past all the cardmaking pages to see my miniature pages. I probably should have made a second account just for the miniatures, rather than using the same account.

Where is your pinterest?

I figured out yesterday how to manipulate pinterest.   I added pages for some of my favorite dollhouses.   Makes it easier to find 

• Like 1

On Wed Apr 13 2016 15:43:53 GMT-0500, BiblioBecky said:

First, a question: what is meant by "bashing? From the context, I get the feeling it means to start with a kit, then make major structural changes to it.

My first build was the Beachside Bungalow, which I received as a gift. It was easy enough for this "mechanically challenged" newbie to build without major help. ("Mechanically challenged" means I'd never build anything, not even a birdhouse!)

Hobby Lobby is "the only game in town" for hands-on purchases of craft supplies of all sorts, especially miniatures, except for the occassional non-miniature related items that can be found at Walmart. Joann's has a few things, but that brick&mortar store is hit or miss on miniatures. There's a Michael's in Huntsville, 70 miles away, but they don't carry miniatures any more. The nearest stores dedicated to miniatures or which carry a lot of mini-related items are in Nashville, TN or Burmingham, AL, about 150+ miles away.   I have issues about supporting Hobby Lobby, but I'm stuck with them here in the middle of nowhere.

Yes, I can buy most of what I need or want via the web, but it is nice to look at or hold something, to get an idea of size/scale/material.  Also, online retailers add shipping & handling charges that can be ridiculous for most dollhouse & mini items. 

My new dollhouse kit, Victoria's Farmhouse, was purchased at Hobby Lobby,. Last Christmas, when I decided on which dollhouse kit I wanted as a gift from my husband, we found the Victorias's Farmhouse kit at $100 less than anywhere on the web, plus the 40% off coupon - so, we paid less than half-pr!ce for it.

You have a menards close by?  I get all my little strip wood from menards.

On April 12, 2016 at 11:10:41 AM, LPCullen said:

I built the Beachside Bungalow, and I LOVED it! There's step-by-step pix on my Facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/linda.j.poston/media_set?set=a.459385220752071.108119.100000417906764&type=3

@LPCullen love your bungalow. And I see you won a contest. Well deserved. It's adorable. I can't wait to start mine (after Mother's Day.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2016, 11:10:41, LPCullen said:

I too built the Beachside Bungalow & loved it. That's what got me into dollhouses & minis in the first place.  

I have several facebook albums with pictures during construction & the finished dollhouse as if the viewer is a drop-in visitor! 8-) 

https://www.facebook.com/becky.mitchell.501598?__nodl 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BiblioBecky said:

My Pinterest stuff is almost all related to dollhouses & minis. My stuff is at www.pinterest.com/beckymitchell50.

Nice Pinterest Becky, I'm following all of your boards. It will take forever to see everything on there!