Second floor warping issue

6 posts in this topic

We began the Orchid build over the weekend and dry fit.  The second floor is very warped!! I just can't figure out how we can keep the house intact while the glue sets. I've read that the glue will straighten the floor, however the floor is in no shape to be forced into position so it can be glued. Tape is not holding it for sure.  This warp keeps the second floor popped out of the tabs. I've covered it with HEAVY materials, on a flat surface, with only minimal result. Can I spray water on the piece, and cover it again, and leave several days? And if so, would I put it on the inner side of the warp or the outer, visualizing a semicircle?

I think there have been much worse dealt with by members here. This is just my first encounter, and I could use some direction.

1 person likes this

I would spray both sides with water, then put it with the curve facing down, and weight it.

1 person likes this

I waved my warped piece over a large pot of boiling water so it would absorb moisture from the steam. Then I covered the piece with wax paper, weighted it down and allowed the wood to dry out. 

20 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

I would spray both sides with water, then put it with the curve facing down, and weight it.

Linda, would you spray the entire board or just the portion that has a problem? The problem makes up at least 2/3rds of the board.

6 minutes ago, Cathy :) said:

I waved my warped piece over a large pan of boiling water so it would absorb moisture from the steam. Then I covered the piece with wax paper, weighted it down and allowed the wood to dry out. 

Excellent idea! I will add the moisture using this method.

9 minutes ago, suej said:

Excellent idea! I will add the moisture using this method.

It worked for me. I guess the steam really gets the moisture into the wood.