Catching Up (It's Good to be Back)

Gonzo

It has been a while since I have been here and it was brought to my attention through a couple of emails that maybe I should pop in and say hello. I was told "let people know that you are still alive!"  LOL Pardon the novel, but if you read through it all I will just say thank you.

So here is what has been happening to Greg over the past few months.

• Health Scare -- losing 40 pounds in 3 1/2 weeks is not good. This happened to me around Thanksgiving. My daughter convinced me to go to the doctor (usually I don't need convincing). We still have not figured out what it is, but we know a lot of what it isn't (not cancer, not HIV or any other auto immune disease, not a thyroid issue, etc.). It eventually leveled off after 52 pounds. However, I dropped another five pounds last week and since I had been out of town on business and not eating right, we are flagging it again. 
  • Weight Loss -- On the positive side, I am down to 215 pounds (from the 270 range) and am feeling pretty good. I haven't weighed that little since high school or junior high. Even at the lowest point during my chemotherapy treatments during my cancer I only got down to 217. I am going to try to properly lose about 20 more, then it is off to the cosmetic surgeon for the, umm, tummy tuck removal of the skin that won't bounce back. 
  • Mini Projects -- I have not worked on my hobby in over six months. With the health issue and battling that while traveling so much for my "real" job, I have just been too tired. Hopefully this summer I will get back to building. I have many UFO's (unfinished objects) that I would love to finish and show off to the forum. I hope to do that soon.
  • Inked -- My 51st birthday was March 6 and my girlfriend bought us matching tattoos. My first ink! It is a forearm tattoo of the Chinese symbol for dream. I love it! I have also changed my hairstyle and grown some facial hair for the first time in over 20 years. Midlife crisis? Maybe......but no motorcycle or boat purchase yet...haha
  • WOW!! -- Yes, I said my girlfriend (picture attached). I got a tattoo for my birthday...she got an engagement ring! She said yes! No date has been set as we each have some family things that we are clearing up. Her kids are 19 and 13, so they are younger than mine (27 and 23). They adore me and I think they are awesome! She is a part time model and former professional wrestler. She is only 5'2", but I watch myself as I don't need to be taken down in a figure four leg lock or pile driver. LMAO   I will say that Michele came into my life at the right time. She is still not totally familiar with the miniature hobby or industry, but she is starting to learn.

I will stop here as I feel it is a good spot. Hopefully I will see some of you in Chicago this weekend or at one of the other shows down the road. I will try to go back to being active in the forums again rather than lurking anonymously as I have been over the past few months.

Remember -- work as "little" as you can!

Michele2.jpg

• Like 2

WELCOME BACK:cucumber:

It's awesome to see you are back!!  I had been wondering about you.  Health scare - hope they get it all figured out.  Happy late birthday.  Congratulations on your engagement!

Michele - welcome to the wonderful world of minis.  With that being said I was gone for a bit also but am back yet again.  Health issues.  It is good to see ya and wish I were going to the Chicago show but I live to far away.

• Like 1

Glad you're back with us, Greg.  I haven't been on much lately either - just keeping too busy with real-life.  I do hope your health issues are resolved soon.  Welcome to Michele also :) 

• Like 1

Welcome back!  I was wondering where you had disappeared to!

Had a similar health issue a few years back, rapid weight loss in a short time.  Never figured it out, but feeling fine now.  Hope you are the same.  Not the best way to diet! LOL!

• Like 1

Good to see you back, Greg. Sounds like your life has been a whirlwind the last 6 months. Sorry to hear about your health issues, sounds like you have it pretty much under control right now. Happy about Michele and your engagement! I will stop by at your table and say hi!

• Like 1

Good to see you around don't be a stranger. Hi to Miss Hot Stuff haha maybe the weight loss is due to being in love....I know that always worked for me. It was just a matter of having something to take my mind off of food, and love is a good substitute. Congrats!

• Like 1

Look everyone! *pointing excitedly*  It's GONZO!!  *waving*   :wave:   :groupwave:   SO glad to 'see' you again, Greg!

Hoping your health issues are soon resolved so you can get back to the minis (and that tummy tuck!) - and congratulations on the engagement! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OMG, Gonzo, it sounds like you've been in the same "Practical Joke" department I've been in the last four years!  So glad you are doing well and congrats on your lady friend - she's clearly a lovely lady in all ways.

I'm going to have to start a new catchup thread here, but wanted to at least check in - yeah, still alive though there have been some tight squeaks.  Had to get a new ID here coz I couldn't remember my old one - this here ghost from the past is Mary K Woods from Roslyn WA and used to crochet/knit 1:12 scale minis using sewing thread - just started that again and am DELIGHTED I can still do it (it was such fun scaling down full-size things to mini scale...).

Do ya know I got tears in my eyes when I found y'all again and saw lots of you are still here - oh, I have MISSED you!

• Like 4

Not as much as we missed you, dear heart!  I'm so delighted to see you're back!  {{GREAT BIG HUGS!!!}}} and I'm happy dancing to see you're still alive!  Please be all well at last.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Debra from Olde Cape Cod said:

A big welcome to all of you checking in and coming back! I might not be around much this summer as we will be doing TwiceAcrossAmerica.blogspot.com. Less than two weeks to go! Will miss you all!

What is this, Debra? The blog shows somebody getting ready to hit the road but the adventure is not explained.

I do remember you posting about the bike ride earlier.  Be sure to take lots of Slime & sunscreen for him and books and mini projects for you. 

We made today a town day, since the weather promised to be dicey and we needed to run errands.  We missed the phone call that my new glasses are ready, so we'll be headed back to the optometrist tomorrow.