Getting myself in trouble.

MLI Designs

So my mom bought me henBeachside Bungalow for a Mother's Day gift. I'm waiting to see when the pick up is for the house rehab I'm getting from a local selling website, and I just went to Hobby Lobby to drop my flyer and schedule days to teach. I couldn't walk out of Hobby Lobby without buying something.

With my trusty coupon in hand, I bought an Orchid.

do y'all think I could bash an orchid with a bungalow? Can I mix the two wood combinations (MDF and plywood)?

i ran into the house and immediately hide henOrchid. My husband would say in a rather irritated voice "what are you doing". I'll just say I bought it cheap at a garage sale.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MLI Designs said:

So my mom bought me henBeachside Bungalow for a Mother's Day gift. I'm waiting to see when the pick up is for the house rehab I'm getting from a local selling website, and I just went to Hobby Lobby to drop my flyer and schedule days to teach. I couldn't walk out of Hobby Lobby without buying something.

do y'all think I could bash an orchid with a bungalow? Can I mix the two wood combinations (MDF and plywood)?

i ran into the house and immediately hide henOrchid. My husband would say in a rather irritated voice "what are you doing". I'll just say I bought it cheap at a garage sale.

Does your husband have any hobbies?  Did you spend the rent or grocery money?  If not, you do not lie to him, simply tell him it's your hobby.  It's not your fault your hobby is pricey!

• Like 4

The DC Bellingham Farmhouse that I got to rehab later has MDF and the thinner wood. I think you could probably pull off a bash of the two... lots of houses that they're throwing up down here on the island have two different kinds of siding going on.

1 hour ago, MLI Designs said:

I'm not sure what type of class you are having at HL. Are you aware they have to have it approved by corporate before it goes on their website? It took 3 weeks for my approval; One week after the class was to start. No one signed up but it was a month after Christmas and the store was very new. Good luck.

• Like 1

Im not sure that would work, just such different types of kits. Theyre both neat houses on their own though Im sure youll have fun building each separately. I always say we should have an area of the forum be a support group for our significant others!  Oh the stories some of them could tell, Im sure...would scare the hell out of the newbie husbands hahahaa. I always tell my husband "its cheaper than therapy" :)

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

Im not sure that would work, just such different types of kits. Theyre both neat houses on their own though Im sure youll have fun building each separately. I always say we should have an area of the forum be a support group for our significant others!  Oh the stories some of them could tell, Im sure...would scare the hell out of the newbie husbands hahahaa. I always tell my husband "its cheaper than therapy" :)

My hubs was the one who go me started on this hobby!

• Like 2

My DH has 6 collectable cars plus our three daily drivers, and is looking to buy a tenth which I am told is part of a money making scheme.  Given how little I say about HIS expenditure, he really can't say much about mine.  He's the worker, I stay at home and homeschool our two children.  Yes, I know that's work as well, but at least I'm not having to deal with employees, suppliers and factories!!  So I am lucky in that respect!  As Amy says, my hobby is MUCH cheaper than hubbys!

• Like 1

Mines a gun nut and loves outdoor gear of all kinds. He just got home from PrepperCon 2016 so needless to say won't be saying anything about my hobby spending (this month at least)haha :) 

What advice I can offer is about the siding. Real Good Toys - I am familiar with their milled MDF, like it. So on the top of my old Newport, on the sides of the tower, it was flat 1/4". I bought the siding and sided the sides of the tower (ha) and it matches the milled MDF - no one could ever tell the difference once painted. Granted that part is thinner than the rest, which is how RGT meant it to be, and I don't notice that at all and it doesn't bother me. So if you did that, I at least know that would match. But, it might be cool to have them not match and like one had obviously been added onto later and not meant to be a match? 

• Like 2

My hubby has a gun collection, a motorcycle, a vintage pickup, etc., etc. He's rolled his eyes a couple of times at my hobby, but he doesn't say anything (I think he knows better).  He even went and picked up a craigslist sale house for me!  I am starting to suspect that he likes it when I am in my workshop and not in the house... 

• Like 2

My husband has no real hobby and he's retired, so he's with me all the time basically. He goes out to lunch, hunting, and plays golf but other than that he's a homebody.

but he just started a new job (I almost don't believe it). Maybe now that he is out of my hair he won't bother me. I just have to clean up my bonus room so I could make it a little mini haven. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BriJohn said:

What advice I can offer is about the siding. Real Good Toys - I am familiar with their milled MDF, like it. So on the top of my old Newport, on the sides of the tower, it was flat 1/4". I bought the siding and sided the sides of the tower (ha) and it matches the milled MDF - no one could ever tell the difference once painted. Granted that part is thinner than the rest, which is how RGT meant it to be, and I don't notice that at all and it doesn't bother me. So if you did that, I at least know that would match. But, it might be cool to have them not match and like one had obviously been added onto later and not meant to be a match? 

I was also thinking about the addition thing. With additions, they don't have to match, but you probably wouldn't want to use the gingerbread on the Orchid, since that wouldn't really match the bungalow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MLI Designs said:

My husband has no real hobby and he's retired, so he's with me all the time basically. He goes out to lunch, hunting, and plays golf but other than that he's a homebody.

but he just started a new job (I almost don't believe it). Maybe now that he is out of my hair he won't bother me. I just have to clean up my bonus room so I could make it a little mini haven. 

My husband builds boat models, but any time he isn't working, he's right on top of me constantly, rather than working on the models. He won't leave the house without me. It drives me crazy!

I'm sort of glad we will never be able to afford retirement!

For goodness' sakes get these husbands hobbies before y'all retire!  You'll still drive each other nuts after you retire, but that's your job; hobbies are how you keep out from under each others' feet and shared hobbies make going outside together fun.

• Like 1

@havanaholly not happening. I've been telling him for years to find something. He does like to read news. 

@kathi17 I can totally relate. My husband retired at 43. He's 55 now. His motto is. When someone asks him what he does with all his time......he says "whatever I want". It irritates me but I have to remind myself how much we have grown in retirement.

I'm so excited. I'm going to pick up that $25 house. Going to be a great day. Nice ride with my momma in 78-80 degree sunny day, a dollhouse with furniture for a great price, smoothie king, and garage sales. Oh, I did I forget to mention da hubs is on the way to NY. Now I really need a huge smile emoji.

• Like 2

Michele, you could, if you are really a masochist, buy a sheet of 1/8" plywood and add it to the Orchid to make the walls 1/4" thick. The when you add the Orchid to the Beachside Bungalow, you could stone or brick the Orchid so the difference in wall thickness wouldn't be noticed much. If you were handy with a jigsaw, you could get 1/4" thick wood and saw it to match the interior walls so they match the thickness of the Bungalow. Otherwise you can use 1/8" because that could be cut with an exacto blade. It's certainly not fun (I'm sure we could all contribute to a list of really bad words for you to use while you're doing this), but it's doable.

On April 16, 2016 at 4:42:03 PM, rodentraiser said:

Michele, you could, if you are really a masochist, buy a sheet of 1/8" plywood and add it to the Orchid to make the walls 1/4" thick. The when you add the Orchid to the Beachside Bungalow, you could stone or brick the Orchid so the difference in wall thickness wouldn't be noticed much. If you were handy with a jigsaw, you could get 1/4" thick wood and saw it to match the interior walls so they match the thickness of the Bungalow. Otherwise you can use 1/8" because that could be cut with an exacto blade. It's certainly not fun (I'm sure we could all contribute to a list of really bad words for you to use while you're doing this), but it's doable.

LOL, if you are a masochist. I probably would've done that on my Newport just on the exposed tower part at the top but if I had, then the siding would've stuck out past the vertical L trim on the front edges of the tower since it was already put together. But I was surprised at how it didn't bother me looking from the back and seeing that thinner wall depth at the top of the tower. 

My husband doesn't really have any hobbies either and he works from his home office. So we're always together too. He does like to golf but he's not obsessed with it like I am the dollhouse stuff. But really, with three kids 10 and under, we neither one have much time for other things in our free time.