Cross stitching, wood burning, hope chests...

I'm currently waiting on my Country Manor dollhouse to arrive- it was the first/only dollhouse I owned (Christmas present when I was about 7) and this will be my first time building/assembling one. I'm sure I'll have tons of questions when I start on it.

In the meantime, I figured I'd share a few pics and tell y'all about other projects I work on...which translates to: Some are finished and others have been sitting for years and I occasionally work on them :)

I've been doing cross stitch for about 17 yrs. My first project was a baby quilt with a pre-printed pattern. My older sister started it for my daughter but arthritis kept her from being able to finish it so she passed it to me. I finished it and a love for cross stitching was born. Current, unfinished cross stitching projects: Noah's ark baby blanket, winter wolf scene for my daughter, and an Indian chief head with beading for my husband. I don't have any pics of my cross stitching right now.

Approx 8 yrs ago I got interested in wood burning. I just happened to see some crafts online one day and decided to try it. Fell in love with wood burning and have several projects that are waiting to be started and one or two that need to be finished. I really enjoy the projects that combine wood burning with color-usually oil pencils or acrylic paint. I made the owl ornament for my grand daughter for her first Christmas. The picture doesn't really show the detail as well as I'd like.

SamsungPhone_172.thumb.jpg.c553f27c03c41

In 2014 my husband and I built our grand daughter a toy box. I found a unique way to mix paint and stain (I had previously done this type of painting on the trim in our guest bathroom but the toy box turned out a little differently) and it turned out great. She loves her toy box!

SamsungPhone_208.thumb.jpg.ed1347d6b0ff3

I have a 19 yr old daughter and she has been asking for a hope chest for several yrs. I wasn't happy with the quality of most of the ones I was finding (and the prices were ridiculous) so we decided to build her one. We packed all of her Christmas presents inside and I made a big bow to put on it. She could not have been any happier on Christmas morning.

Hopechest.thumb.jpg.0c8adc1c27bf939dd7db

We have one more project we want to make for our grand daughter for Christmas but it will probably be next year:

BedHut.jpg.c6e8c52c7e467f8e01029675f12de

I'm going to try to incorporate all my crafts into my dollhouse when I build it. I have soo many ideas on what I want to do-I just have to find the time. I really need to finish some of my other projects but since our grand daughter arrived, all of my spare time seems to be spent with her- I wouldn't have it any other way, though!

Julie

• Like 1

Julie, you can also introduce yourself in the Newcomers' Forum with more about your impending dollhouse.  I have incorporated almost all of my needleworking and other hobbies into dollhouse miniatures, and learned a few new things long the way.  I make everything I put into my houses.

Hi Holly,

I did introduce myself with a post a few wks ago. That post helped me find the dollhouse I had as a child :)

This forum has already been a great help to me. I just wish I had more time to spend here. Weekends are my only free time and the grandkids usually get a big portion of that time.

I've never done any crafts on such a small scale but I have supplies that will work perfectly...they are mostly scraps and practice supplies. Glad I didn't throw them away!

I still have some of the furniture from my original house but I'll be making whatever I don't have. 

My family gets very interested in all my projects so I'm pretty sure they'll all help in some way- for me it will make this house even more special. I'm going to get my grand daughter to finger paint a picture and find a way to miniaturize it so she can 'help' also.

I may have missed your intro, or my failing memory is at "work" again!  I use half cross stitch to make mini rugs.  I invested in sizes 13, 14 & 16 crochet hooks to make itty antimacassars, tablecloths, etc., and knitting needles that are literally wires!  Single ply  embroidery floss is about the right scale for worsted yarn.

Your stuff is beautiful Julie.

I know what you mean about the grandchildren. Even though mine are 15 hours away, they are the most important part of my life. Enjoy them while they are little, because they grow up so fast. My oldest two will be 10 and 12 in a few weeks, and the youngest one is 7 already.

Luckily, we are very close, even though we only see each other a few times a year.

Holly,

I can't crochet or knit but my mom does...I've seen a few of her needles but none that thin. That is really thin!

I might have to buy a few things I want for my house simply because I've seen some of the stuff other members make and I really like certain pieces.

6 hours ago, Tiggrsbounc said:

Absolutely :)

Hydraulic type hinges on the inside

Thank you! Tragic death of a child two doors down from a heavy toy box top. I get sad when I see one of those. So I had to ask.