Beehive advice needed

WyckedWood

Hey clever people would you help me come up with a way to make my own mini beehive? This is the inspiration, which is by Sir Thomas Thumb. I'm going to try the bench also, so the beehive would be sitting on the bench and be restricted size wise to the bench seat..which I'm thinking would be one inch wide. Maybe I should figure out the beehive first and then make the bench to fit come to think of it. 

Thinking I need a form which could be some type of domed plastic cap..but from what? Then maybe clay over the form, then yarn? Thin rope? Like jute?Then glue to stiffen then paint? Should it be hollow or solid.. Any ideas? Besides just shelling out the $ for the one by thomas thumb which is plan B lol, it's actually reasonably priced but I just want to try one myself.

image.jpg

• Like 1

Karin, this is a bee skep. Your brainstorming has given you several ways to proceed. As to materials, do a Google search for "bee skep". You'll see all kinds of materials. I like this one, which could be done with raffia.

Bee-Skep-with-Hanger-Wall-Decor-F316.jpg

• Like 2

Ok well I've already learned something new, thanks Kathie, I like the raffia look and I already have some on hand. I like the way it looks like it's been patched with mud.

Thanks Mike, interesting idea that sounds like a useful item for mini makers to have. I'll try to source the cord. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

Hey clever people would you help me come up with a way to make my own mini beehive? This is the inspiration, which is by Sir Thomas Thumb. I'm going to try the bench also, so the beehive would be sitting on the bench and be restricted size wise to the bench seat..which I'm thinking would be one inch wide. Maybe I should figure out the beehive first and then make the bench to fit come to think of it. 

Thinking I need a form which could be some type of domed plastic cap..but from what? Then maybe clay over the form, then yarn? Thin rope? Like jute?Then glue to stiffen then paint? Should it be hollow or solid.. Any ideas? Besides just shelling out the $ for the one by thomas thumb which is plan B lol, it's actually reasonably priced but I just want to try one myself.

image.jpg

A deodorant bottle with the some top, add a layer of plastic foil, use cooking string, start at the top add liberala with glue and make the top "disc" and continue the coiling until you have reached the height you want. Be careful not to pull the strong to taught. Go back up again adding another layer, falling in any and all gaps. When dry gently twist the shape from the bottle, using a "heavy" hole punch get the opening. Et voila, Done.

hugs

• Like 1

Anna just gave the instructions I was going to suggest. Look for nozzles to bottles, stoppers, a champagne cork with some clay build up if you want it taller.

I've been looking at shapes to make the same type of skep, but in half scale for 3Bears. :) 

• Like 2

I would think any heavy packing twine would do the job.  If you can't find a lid the size you want, take a small piece of aluminum foil & start wadding it until you get the general size & shape (or waxed paper) and build your skep around it.  What will you use to make your bees?

I'll check that out Mike thanks. 

I thought the inspiration beehive looked like painted yarn. When I get ready to sit down and try you've given me great ideas for options. Good idea about making a form out of foil. And the bee..I don't know what do you think, maybe flocking in black and yellow attached with fishing line? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sable said:

A thimble with some clay in top?

Might work I'll keep it in mind thanks. 

I noticed a large marble in my stash..might work for the domed top.

On April 18, 2016 at 12:40:48 PM, JustCallMeAnna said:

The shape reminds me of one of the little quarter machine eggs (not the normal size ones), wrapped in jute or raffia!

I definitely found the form at the grocery store today, thank you @JustCallMeAnna

Perfect :) 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elsbeth said:

Another option:

Purchase and imbibe entire bottle of Barenjager.

Keep skep-shaped top for dollhouse.

:drool:

http://www.drinkfinder.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x500/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/0/108391_18.JPG

Now that's a solution I could live with!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

Another option:

Purchase and imbibe entire bottle of Barenjager.

Keep skep-shaped top for dollhouse.

:drool:

http://www.drinkfinder.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x500/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/0/108391_18.JPG

Lol sounds fine to me! 

Popping in to say thanks again for the ideas, thoughts and to show you the finished product. I used the candy/toy machine dome and covered with one strand of jute. Was able to get the hole with an exacto knife and metal round file. The bench went together well using balsa wood. Decided to add a jar of honey, but to skip the bee. Thanks again everyone, this was fun :) 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2