Do you sell your dollhouses?

Try talking to a church pastor, a women's shelter that accepts children and/or helps them with housing. I work with a pastoral counselor and his group has helped me find a child to gift it to. They also kept one in their office for play therapy. Also, some private schools have fundraisers and accept donations for auctioning.

If you are wanting to gift the houses, try the children's hospitals. Anne in New York builds and donates houses to kids battling cancer. 

I haven't sold any yet, but I don't have to time to make very many houses. I have considered it - just haven't gotten there yet. So far all my houses mean too much to me and I want to keep them.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2016‎ ‎4‎:‎40‎:‎34‎, PJSizemore said:

I have finally finished my Newport and I am quite far along with my Orchid (Witches House). I told my husband that I would sell or donate the Newport to make room for another dollhouse. I live in a small, rural area in Virginia without many organizations to chose from.  I've approached the volunteer Fire Departments and Rescue Squad to donate to them for a fund raiser. None of them took me up on my offer. I contacted the closest Children's Cancer Center with the same offer and after their initial response, "I'll ask management", I have not been able to get any more information from them. Does anyone have any suggestions of groups or organizations that might be more receptive to a donation?  I'm almost ready to write up an ad for Craigs List and try to sell it. I know I'll never recoup my time and labor but I need the room. My craft room is full with all my other craft activities, machine embroidery and quilting, scrapbooking and card making and drawing and painting supplies.  And I have already over flowed to the laundry room closet, spare bedroom and the orchid is currently sitting on the dining room table. My Newport takes up a good portion of my husband's den.  Today, UPS delivered my Vermont Farmhouse Jr with one addition so I really need the room.  I'm up for any help or suggestions from all of you.

I've attached 2 photos of the Newport.  I don't have photos yet but all landscaping done.

Thanks, Pamimage.thumb.jpeg.e8d0d894c2d86bd83a15163bimage.thumb.jpeg.69e49b9d98f7c6c748bfe10

I would suggest you take it to your local animal shelter they can always use it for their donations or sell it for food (dogs and cats gotta eat ya know) we donated tons of stuff they'll always be willing to take it off your hands.

Thank you all for the wonderful ideas and suggestions. The Volunteer Rescue Squad informed me that they would love to accept the dollhouse for a fundraiser. I was an active members with this squad for 9 years. But my back issues (4 surgeries), forced me to retire my EMT status, now I am an Honorary Member. I'm thrilled that the house will going with them  

I have also looked into some of your suggestions.  I found the Ronald MacDonald house in my area. I also found St. Peter's Consignment Shop.  And I went to SPCA yesterday and they told me where the SPCA Rummage store is located.  So I will have all these options for future use.  

P.S. I will be making a trip to St. Peter's Consignment Shop. They have miniature furniture there and "vintage" wallpaper. It's close enough that I HAVE to check it out. 

• Like 4

Nada one.

I often display them at libraries and maker faires, and people ask me if I'm trying to sell them (since alot of people are trying to sell things at the maker faires) and they're surprised sometimes when I reply that I just love making them, and I like to show them because people enjoy them.

I've made some as gifts, but I've never profited from them.

I hope noone one thinks I am trying make a profit on the Newport.  It is strictly a donation. Whoever receives it is free to keep it, sell or raffle it and they will keep all proceeds. I hope I haven't given anyone the impression I would receive the money.  I apologize if my intentions were unclear. 

If this works out well, I plan to do it again with future builds. I love building and decorating the houses. I want to share them with others. I am almost finished with my Witch's Orchid. It has taken on a new look from my original vision. I will post pictures soon.  I need the room to keep building. I have the Vermont Farmhouse Jr. ready to be next, as soon as the Newport leaves.  

In the future, I think I will buy one of the BIG doll houses like the Foxhall Manor, the Montclair with additions, etc. I will build this and keep for me only.  I've started dropping hints to Hubby that it would be a wonderful gift for my 60th birthday  he still has a couple years catch on  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update:  Moving day for my Newport Dollhouse.  I donated it to Greene County Rescue Squad.  

They will be holding a raffle as a fund raiser.  I couldn't be happier, I was an active member of this squad for 9 years before

4 back surgeries forced me out of the EMT world.  The brick building in the photo is the Squad house.

Moving day.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, PJSizemore said:

Update:  Moving day for my Newport Dollhouse.  I donated it to Greene County Rescue Squad.  

They will be holding a raffle as a fund raiser.  I couldn't be happier, I was an active member of this squad for 9 years before

4 back surgeries forced me out of the EMT world.  The brick building in the photo is the Squad house.

Pamela, what a great donation! Here's hoping it brings in beaucoup bucks for the squad!

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Bumping this...

I originally wanted to sell my dh. I posted pics but only got one hit. They keep forgetting to get back to me. I then thought, I want to donate it to a needy child. Being close to Christmas, that's what I want. That turned into a nightmare. I had a few hits but I felt the parents did not understand the house is not a  young child toy . They are ment to be played with but not rough house.  Plus, there are small parts.

So I finally settled on someone.  To make a long story short..... they turned out to be a mish mash of stories. I backed out. Surprising they were cool with it.  Another little girl is interested but she is only 4 years old and has some issues. I'm just concerned for her being so young.

I really want it to go to a needy and appreciative girl.  As we all know,these houses are our babies. 

You might consider donating to a marriage and family therapist who works with children. I've seen houses in therapists' offices that are used for play therapy, so the children are supervised while they play with the house.

It's sort of a catch-22 to try to donate something that kids can't play with unsupervised to a kid. I can understand your frustration. Do you know any adults who might enjoy having a dollhouse but don't have the skill or space or tools or whatever to build one?

1 hour ago, thresadep said:

Posted my house on "pay it forward" fb group. Had 8 people interested. To be fair, I drew a name from the ones so messaged me.  Today my house went to a new home. This is the best Christmas gift. 

That is so cool! What a great response.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2016, 1:40:34, PJSizemore said:

I have finally finished my Newport and I am quite far along with my Orchid (Witches House). I told my husband that I would sell or donate the Newport to make room for another dollhouse. I live in a small, rural area in Virginia without many organizations to chose from.  I've approached the volunteer Fire Departments and Rescue Squad to donate to them for a fund raiser. None of them took me up on my offer. I contacted the closest Children's Cancer Center with the same offer and after their initial response, "I'll ask management", I have not been able to get any more information from them. Does anyone have any suggestions of groups or organizations that might be more receptive to a donation?  I'm almost ready to write up an ad for Craigs List and try to sell it. I know I'll never recoup my time and labor but I need the room. My craft room is full with all my other craft activities, machine embroidery and quilting, scrapbooking and card making and drawing and painting supplies.  And I have already over flowed to the laundry room closet, spare bedroom and the orchid is currently sitting on the dining room table. My Newport takes up a good portion of my husband's den.  Today, UPS delivered my Vermont Farmhouse Jr with one addition so I really need the room.  I'm up for any help or suggestions from all of you.

I've attached 2 photos of the Newport.  I don't have photos yet but all landscaping done.

Thanks, Pamimage.thumb.jpeg.e8d0d894c2d86bd83a15163bimage.thumb.jpeg.69e49b9d98f7c6c748bfe10

I feel with selling these, your not selling your time, cause the time you spent was for your own enjoyment, so no need to sell that. But if I sell I would sell for the materials to just try to recoup some of the actual money spent.

Where we lived before our move I had great luck donating rehabs to local churches for their holiday toy drives for needy families, they were thrilled to get the dolls nd dollhouses that looked like new.